Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Welding jig for building gates

I need some suggestions how to build a jig to clamp pipe into for construction of gates using round pipe. We have some ideas but would like to get some input prior to us diving in to make one.

We are planning on making it about 20' long and 7' high and having it involve a number of vertical members that can be moved along the 20' length. the pipe could then be clamped horizontally to the verticals at what ever spot is needed for a particular gate size. It will work best if the jig or rack stands fairly upright and all of the members are adjustable in both horizontal and vertical directions.

I know that there are jigs like this out there, I've just never seen one. Any help would be appreciated!!

A large flat table and a couple of stands could work with some "V"blocks to keep the tube from turning.
    Paul

V-Blocks are great if you require position of holes and things, but not necassary and if your pipe is not perfectly straight can be a pain. There are plenty of variables that would drive the jig design though. And depending on how many gates you are planning to build will have a influence on the design. But, here is my suggestion:

Use square tubing that is equal to the size of your rounds. Build a frame out of the square that is the same as your gate. At this point I weld on some NET PADS. These are ussually around 1/4" thick and allow the tube rest on them. Pics attached. Now use some 1/2"X (2"or3") wide X square long + up far enough to pass the quadrant of the round tubing (I used 1" square tubing). Not much higher though. These are the uprights that will constrain your pipe in the jig. This will provide the best strength and allow removal from the jig a little easier. So in other words if you use 2" sq and your pipe is 2" dia your flats need to be 3-1/4" long.ong and weld to the square to capture the pipe on 3 sides. You are creating a C-Channel. You need these at each end of the side and if it is a long side put one or two in the middle. You will probably want to load your round in the section while you are welding the flat uprights to the square and put about a 1/16" shim. This will keep the C from clamping to hard on your pipe and making it almost impossible to get out of the jig. The net pads create a air gap for cooling and prevention for your jig from warping. Also I set my jig up on a Mill and surface them so that they are close to the exact same height. The nets also allow you to get a prybar between the jig and work peice. Now you will probably have to play around with your weld sequence some.

Attached is a jig I made to build some frames for customer once. I used 1/4 wall tubing for the frame and 1" sq 11 ga for uprights.

Jig.jpg

Hope this helps. I have built many robotic weld fixtures and hand weld fixtures from automated to manual. If I can help in any way let me know.

Default that great looking jig!

Just jumped in on this post and could not help but admire that great looking jig!
    I too have been making an iron gate using 1"w/1/8" wall.
    I was wondering if I could get some more photos and ideas on jig making!
    Web sites?
    Thanks
    MB

I would say many others would find that info useful as well
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200