Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default What amperage range w/ thumb control

I am considering buying a thumb controller for my tig. Finding a place to get a pedal setup is a real pain in some positions. My question is how much current range will I lose. The unit costs about $175 and I thought I would get some opinions good or bad before buying. How difficult is it to get used to using ?Thanks so much, Adam
    Last edited by Jetmekdc-10; 07-07-2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: misspelled word
    Webb's Welding and Repair LLC
    MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
    Syncrowave 250
    Spectrum 625
    Trialbazer 302 w/HF
    http://webbsweldingandrepair.com/home

you wont loose any curent its still goint to alow you to ajust the same as a foot controle just les movement per increase/decrease. as for how hard ?? personal thing realy, some love them some hate them. there are several styels to chose from so pick one you think will be the easyest for your comfort.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

CK has some nice ones, personally for out of position I rather just use a momentary button, set the amperage and toggle it off and on, or setup the slope feature on the Dynasty.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

dose the 250 Tigrunner have a slope option?? i still havent tryed that out on mine yet. but i figure i better get a lil more time in befor i start the fancy stuff.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

The 250 does have the option to add on a pulse and sequencer panel. You can buy them for just under $500 and just plug them in. I was planning to get the panels when my skills and knowledge were at that point. The on/off switch may be the way to go. Thanks for the input. Adam
    Webb's Welding and Repair LLC
    MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
    Syncrowave 250
    Spectrum 625
    Trialbazer 302 w/HF
    http://webbsweldingandrepair.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    dose the 250 Tigrunner have a slope option?? i still havent tryed that out on mine yet. but i figure i better get a lil more time in befor i start the fancy stuff.
    The slope function on the T/A is really strightforward, I think you are ready to give it a try ... all you need is a momentary button, some wire, and the right amphonal connector for the T/A.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

i stumbled onto it once with my foot controle, so i may be able to use the foot controle as the triger to lern it. i was realy confused when i set it up for it (unknowingly by mistake) and tryed to weld like normal.LOL

so even though the foot controle wont give me the convieneance of a small momentart swich i think i can use it for practise, till i get a swich.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Default Remote controls - several flavors

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmekdc-10 View Post
    I am considering buying a thumb controller for my tig. Finding a place to get a pedal setup is a real pain in some positions. My question is how much current range will I lose. The unit costs about $175 and I thought I would get some opinions good or bad before buying. How difficult is it to get used to using ?Thanks so much, Adam
    When welding out of position, a finger actuated remote control is a God-send. There seem to be several flavors available depending on your needs. Here's what I've found, from most basic to finest control.

1. On/Off button. Instant on. Instant off. Example: Miller RMS-14. (Most likely used with programmable slopes, or low amperage settings.)

2. On/Off/Momentary toggle. 3 position. Center position is off. Press one side to give monentary power. Press the other side to lock-on. Example: Miller RMLS-14. Use the Momentary setting for tacking. Use the ON position for the finish weld.

3. Finger wheel. Roll-on power. Ramps-up quickly. Roll-off power. Ramps-down quickly. Example: Miller RCCS-14. Good for production work.

4. Finger wheel. Roll-on power. Ramps-up slowly. Roll-off power. Ramps-down slowly. Example: Miller RCCS-14. More precise control, for surgery, or welding a long seam.

Here's a link to some of them.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ccessories.php

There are other non-Miller makes of similar remote controls. Just make sure they are compatible with your TIG rig before purchasing.

I'm not sure why the are so pricey. They are basically switches at the end of some wire. However, as soon as you are talking about TIG gear, the price just seems to triple.

Talking

my cuz has onefor his snyco wave it is kinda hard to get useto it ,personally I like the foot control better
    just my $0.2 worth

Inferno Forge

Chris

i think they will all be a bit frustraiting to get used to at first but there is no question they will be verry usefull once masterd.
    this one looks like the best choice IMO and the one i will be getting at some point if i chose to get one. right now i dont do anywhere near enough TIG, much less out of position to worry about it. arc-zone caries them and i think CK makes one built into the torch, or maybee its some one else but here is a link to the arc-zone one. they are great people to deal with( IME ).
    http://www.arc-zone.com/catalog/web_...6892375_530993

here's a pic for quick reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES