Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Elite Welding Helmet issue

I just bought an Elite Series helmet. The gearset in the headband lasted 3 days. I love this helmet but I would like to replace this headset with something tougher. I can't imagine a standard replacement would last any longer that the origional. Anyone else have this problem? thanks, Walt

never had the problem, i own a D-Elite and an xlix. The headgear is only about 14 bucks, but Miller should warrantee it without an issue. I would try another one before "upgrading" how atight are you making it?
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Mine lasted about a year of light use. Now I have one tooth stripped on the headband. Of course it's the tooth at the size that fits my head. This makes it really annoying. I like to keep the headband fairly tight so I can turn all directions without the helmet falling off. I also have problems with the flip up-down joint getting chewed up. Being an auto-dark I don't use the 'nod to flip it down' method. I like it to stay where I put it so I keep these side knobs fairly tight also.
    I'd love to have headgear with a little metal reinforcement in critical locations. Or even one made from harder, more durable plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Laiky View Post
    never had the problem, i own a D-Elite and an xlix. The headgear is only about 14 bucks, but Miller should warrantee it without an issue. I would try another one before "upgrading" how atight are you making it?
    I'm a welding instructor for a Community College. I wear this helmet in the up position a lot during class sessions. I keep the helmet tight enough to stay on in the up position but not uncomfortably tight. The helmet I used before the Elite is over 15yr's old with the origional headset and its 1/2 again heavier than the Elite. I don't think a new replacement headset will last any longer than the origional. I appreciate the reply's but I feel that the cost of this helmet would have a better made/more durable headset than the one it came with. I made this purchase online per reccomendation, had I tried one on before hand I'd pass for something better made. I only refer to the headset, the electronics, view and light weight are awesome with this unit..thanks guys, Walt

Default Jackson and Huntsman have better headgear

I just replaced the headgear in my 1997 Jackson Shadow. The headgear is good and the helmet has good neck coverage but poor ear coverage. The traditional huntsman helmet seems to have a little more ear coverage, but less neck coverage. I had considered a Miller Elite but the coverplates are too expensive.

i have had 2 jackson helmets, i love them and have never had a problem with the headgear. i keep the knobs tight so it doesn't fall, and the hood fairly tight, but not uncomfortable.

hope i helped a lil

~Aaron Engstfeld
    Engstfeld Welding

i run a jackson boss hood and hate the ratchet strap.you cant tilt the hood all the way up like a pipeliner,so i took the head gear off the pipeliner and put it on the jackson.you have to be creative but it will work.been running mine like that for a year now and love it.
    Miller Pipepro 304
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Lincoln HD 175
    Victor Jr. torch
    Purox angle head torch
    Smith torch
    Atlas Lathe
    Bridgeport mill

Quote Originally Posted by waltsuz View Post
    I just bought an Elite Series helmet. The gearset in the headband lasted 3 days. I love this helmet but I would like to replace this headset with something tougher. I can't imagine a standard replacement would last any longer that the origional. Anyone else have this problem? thanks, Walt

I HATE mine...I have an LXi or whatever you call it and its had 2...both stripped. I only tighten it enuff to stay on my head...which it won't do...because its stripped out...AGAIN!!!!
    I have a friend who was bragging about how great his Speedglass was and MADE me try it. I could barely get past the HORRIBLE headband setup it had and the way it dangles. I was glad to get my Miller back on that annoys me when it falls off my head constantly
    I would be all for changing my headgear out for something else that stayed where I put it. My head is the same size it was yesterday and will be tomorrow so I don't need a giant KNOB right where I lay my head when I crawl under things to weld them!! YMMV

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

I have a couple different miller elite style helmets and haven't had a problem with any of them so far. They get adjusted on a regular basis depending on what else I have on my head (respirator for example) and I run them from tight to loose and every where in between, depending on what I feel like. Even my oldest one still works like new.

As for the tension adjustments on the side, I also vary the tension on those from falling down to almost locked flipped up, depending on what I'm doing. The only minor issue I have had with them is that the little rachet positions wear off after a while.

I'd be tempted to give the replacement headband a go, perhaps you got stuck with a defective one first time around.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long