Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Welding Copper

Default Welding Copper

My daughter is taking a metal working class in the art department at Western Michigan University. I welded together some of the 1/16 inch thick copper scraps that were left over from her recent project without filler rod. The sample is 3/4 inch x 1 inch. I used:

140 amps
    DCEN

It flowed very smooth like stainless steel. The first picture is the front of the weld. The second is the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Nice! Cool to see a woman taking metal class in college too!

One question, I've only ever brazed Copper, does it boil/spit zinc oxides like brass does or is it nice to work with?
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Thumbs up

cool. i have not had a chance to play with any copper yet. too high $$ for play. would like to some day if i get a great idea thats really worth putting out the $$ for, and i have it that is.
    nice bead.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by turboglenn View Post
    Nice! Cool to see a woman taking metal class in college too!

One question, I've only ever brazed Copper, does it boil/spit zinc oxides like brass does or is it nice to work with?
    Copper is copper, copper and zinc and other material is brass,or bronze. Zinc fuming from the brasses isn't as bad as welding a large galvanized gate frame. If you do TIG bronze or brass just keep the mug and pie hole out the smoke and fumes. and have some ventilation going near by.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Originally Posted by turboglen

Copper is nice to work with. It welds smooth as Glen stated without boiling or spitting. You can watch it being welded by clicking on the Welding 1/16 inch copper video on the following link.

http://www.millerwelds.com/education...rticle123.html

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport