Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Fold down Tow Dolly

Heres the situation,I have a Gmc Sierra 4x4 and im always hauling cars,so I have to hook to the car hauler and lug that heavy @#! thing around.There has to be an easier way,something smaller or compact that I could build.Ive seen a regular pickup truck like mine that had boom of sorts that flipped up from the bed of the truck and could raise the car to be towed up,has anyone else seen this?Could anyone help me with some literature or pictures on how to build it?If not,how about something on building a tow dolly?Thanks a million...Jimmy C.

How far are you hauling these cars?

Full trailers tow FAR better than dollies.

The device you're thinking of is part of a tow truck, and I believe they call them stingers. Making one would be pretty complicated and liability would be obscene. You should be able to buy just that mechanism itself, but I'd hate to think what it costs.

Another solution is a rack that holds the car on the back of the truck. You lose substantial overhead clearance, and you're pretty limited to what else you can haul, but I would go that route before I put time into a dolly for anything but around town transfers of vehicles.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Default Fold down tow dolly

Thanks,I would be pulling cars about 25 miles or so,what kind of setup are you talking about that would go in the back?I dont haul anything in the back,but it would be nice if the device could fold down below the top of the bed when not in use.Have any ideas,plans,pictures?Thanks very much

I think he's talking about something like this...
    http://www.piercearrow.us/recluse_repo.htm
    Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
    My own shop since 1981
    Cya Frank

http://www.minuteman1.com/

This is what I was thinking of, or something like it.

I've seen just this mechanism that goes under the bed.
    Last edited by Fishy Jim; 10-20-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Default Fold down tow dolly

Thank you guys so much,this info is exactly what I was wanting.Thansks,Jimmy.