Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Need advice on mounting my 225 to a trailer

I purchased a 5x6 standard trailer today to mount my in-laws 225 on. Assuming there's really not going to be anything too weighty added to the trailer, where should I mount? Centered and a bit forward of the axle mid-line?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by cbone View Post
    I purchased a 5x6 standard trailer today to mount my in-laws 225 on. Assuming there's really not going to be anything too weighty added to the trailer, where should I mount? Centered and a bit forward of the axle mid-line?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Set the trailer jack on a set of scales (bathroom scales are ok) then set the machine where you mentioned for starters. Check the scales. IF I remember correctly, you are looking for about 100 pounds of tongue weight. I am open to correction on that number. Then it is just a matter of moving the machine to get the correct tongue weight.

Remember to have everything else you may have on the trailer onboard when you do this.

Griff

I go for about 10% tongue weight. Make sure you look at your hitch rating, your bumper rating (if applicable), the ball mount rating, the ball rating, and the coupler rating. Use the smallest in determining what your tongue weight can be.

But don't let that determine how you balance your trailer. Too little tongue weight is just as bad as too much, so if the towing vehicle is a lightweight, so must be the trailer.

Thanks for the advice. Towing's not an issue. It's on a 1 ton.

Two more questions:
    1. The trailer's got a wood floor. Any positives/negatives to bolting directly to it or should I cut out where the welder's going to sit and weld up a rectangle for it to mount to? That seems like a lot of work if mounting to the wood's not an issue.

2. Is there any reason/benefit to mount the welder sideway (wheel to wheel) rather than lengthwise?

If the wood floor is sufficiently secure on its own, there is no problem with securing the welder to it. Are we talking about 2x6's or 1/2" plywood, though?

The welder can be mounted either way, depending on what you want to put on the rest of the trailer. Having the heaviest items in a smaller longitudinal footprint will make balancing the trailer a little touchier, though. Depends on what percentage of the overall weight of the trailer is tied up in the welder. But either way works fine.

I just wanted to add in some basic thoughts. Mount it so the front panel of the welder is facing the rear of the trailer. It is usually easier to access controls that way. Also, make sure the exhaust elbow is adjusted to the side so that rain, etc. will not fill up the muffler when going down the road and it is also not pointed at the person starting or setting the machine.
    Have a great day!

John Leisner
    Product Manager
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Owner and user of:
    Trailblazer 302 and Legend 301
    Smith Dual Guard oxy-fuel system
    Various borrowed Millermatics and Spectrums.

Default Excellent Thread

I think this thread is excellent and very informative. How might I save it for future reference?

Cantankerous Coot Enterprises
    Robert K. Tompsett CEO,CFO,CWM

Lincoln 225 AC Stick Buzz Box
    Victor Portable gas welder
    Milwaukee Deep Cut Portable Band Saw
    Milwaukee Sawzall
    2 - Drill Presses

You might not have to make a complete frame under the welder, if you make some brackets to attach to the crossmembers and through bolt the machine to it, keep in mind if your machine is attached to a seporate frame and the frame is connected by means of welding only and a weld breaks( god forbid) then there is nothing else to hold it... I'm not saying the welds wouldn't be strong but trailers take a beating on bumps, if you incorperate a bolt as well it would make for a good safety

Kelly