Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Weekend Welder,

Great job, I am wondering what could be made to react similar with up to 45cal?

Tim
    Retired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Tim,

I have shot on similar targets with 45 ACP. They had about 8 to 10" plates though.

Here is a photo of the target I just built last weekend. One of my first welding projects. The plate is hanging from chains at a 45 degree angle to deflect bullet splatter downward. I have shot it as close as 10 yards with a lead 44 Mags and as close as 2-3 yards with lead 22 LR and 38 Spl. No ricochets at all.

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another good project for summer!

Thanks,

Tim
    Retired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

So, I'm wondering how long the reset rope is? Could you show a pic of the pulley? (like a side view to the bottom, that rope has to go somewhere)
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Default rope lenghth

The rope is 30 yards long with a knot tied at 5 yard intervals. Someone asked about somthing heavier to shoot with a 45. There are several comercial versions available but they cost well over $1000. when you get to larger calibers the basic desighn is the same but you must add an angled plate in front of the main beam it should be a hardened plate like ar500 the knockdowns must also be made of the same hardened plate. to be most efective the ar500 plate shoul be held in place with brackets or bolts instead of welding. ive been told that welding will do somthing with the hardness and temper of the plate. I was also told that water jet cutting of the plate is also recomended for the same reasons.

I am planning on building one for larger calibers I just need to get to the scrap yard to look for some larger channel and materials for the stand,I dont want to have to buy new.

Ill try and post more pics or possibly a video.

Any one in central PA wanna shoot??

Frank aka The Weekend Welder

Talking

cool how far from the border to NY are you ?? looks like it would be great fun shoting, any one know if i would have problems taking rifels acrost state lines ???

great looking targets, i gotta get to work
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

can you post some pics on how you reset the target?
    I read above about pulling a rope to reset it, but have you thought about making one where there is a plate you shoot to reset it.

Default video on youtube

On Yuotube do a search for Flrwizler that should bring up my steel target videos.

Frank aka The Weekend Welder

just watched your videos on youtube... very cool.

leonard
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Frank good idea. I watched it on youtube and like it. I am thinking so bare with me. What if you had a spring on the handle instead of the rope. And the last target, when you shot it would trip the spring and pop all of them up. Maybe use a trampling spring. That might be a little easier than pulling the rope each time. It would be an auto reset.