Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hitch mounted BBQ pit

id like to build something along the lines of this only half as big.

anyone got any info or pictures they could share on building BBQ pits? what do you paint the finished product with? thanks
    Last edited by jackh; 10-15-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Default bbq

I built one about two years ago for a buddy to go tailgating with. I utilizes a gas grill that I bought at Home Depot. It slid away from the vehicle so you could let down the tailgate. I'll take some pics of it in a couple of days and post it.
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

so you bought a grill and then modded it to mount to the hitch?

i had thought of this before but the kinda grill that id buy is like $400, im kinda hesitant to spend that and then cut it up ya know. i had also debated and inner and outer pipe that mounted to the hitch so you could slide it away from the tailgate.

pics of yours would be greatly appreciated.

I like that pit design, I noticed the two wheels for moving about but wondering about an inside set maybe.

Here are two tailgaters I built, 1st is a 10" SS sch 10 pipe mtd. on 2" and 2.5" sq. tube so as to extend away from the truck to lower the tailgate, has SS hvy nuts welded to the tube, SS allen set screws w/pal nuts to eliminate thievery. Has a 20" head w/SS adjustable grill for additional cooking such as fajitas.
    Second is a similar pit created from 10"x1/4" sq. tube and similar mount.
    Good luck
    L*S

BTW, we use the nominal BBQ pit paint from ACE or your local box store.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Leons2003; 10-16-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added text

thanks a ton for the pics.

your design with the 2" and 2.5" sq. pipe is exactly what i had thought about. does the grill wobble a lot?

how much did the materials for the first one set you back if you dont mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    so you bought a grill and then modded it to mount to the hitch?

i had thought of this before but the kinda grill that id buy is like $400, im kinda hesitant to spend that and then cut it up ya know. i had also debated and inner and outer pipe that mounted to the hitch so you could slide it away from the tailgate.

pics of yours would be greatly appreciated.
    You wouldn't really need to cut up the Grill- fabricate a Platform/Mount that attaches to the Truck's receiver and then just bolt the Grill to the Mount.

Unless you can get a pice of Free Pipe for the Grill/Smoker, a store bought Smoker/Grill is probably cheaper.

You don't have to build everything from scratch
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

ya your right. i saw a fairly nice grill at lowes today for $130. it seemed a little thin to weld on though. i didn't have anything to measure the thickness so i cant say how heavy duty it was.

ya your right. i saw a fairly nice grill at lowes today for $130. it seemed a little thin to weld on though. i didn't have anything to measure the thickness so i cant say how heavy duty it was.
    You know they have bolts at Lowes too
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

You could always go to a scrap yard too and pick up a piece of pipe or a water tank from a well. I saved a 10 gallon water tank from a scrap pile, took the bladder out but thats all the farther I got. I plan on making it into a hitch mounted smoker. The metal on that is a little thicker than what you find on a store bought charcoal grill.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

thanks a ton for the pics.

your design with the 2" and 2.5" sq. pipe is exactly what i had thought about. does the grill wobble a lot?

how much did the materials for the first one set you back if you dont mind me asking?
    The tube is 3/16" wall, so there is not much wobble at all and w/the set screws torqued down will eliminate any slop.

I built this for the nephew who manages a fastener co., so that is where the SS fasteners came from, cost wise, most matl. was left overs from previous projects, except he did buy a sheet of SS expanded for the fajita grill, the pit grill was SS screen from a traveling water screen co.s scrap bin. So really one has to do some scrounging.