Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boiler repair

Default boiler repair

tomorrow I have to weld closed a 1/2 inch hole in a large boiler tank. I think it is most likly cast iron but I haven't seen it yet. DC stick is the mechine I have avalible. Rod and setting would be greatly helpful thanks, NICK

Thumbs up nfinch86- CANADIAN WELDOR :

Quote Originally Posted by sparky123 View Post
    tomorrow I have to weld closed a 1/2 inch hole in a large boiler tank. I think it is most likly cast iron but I haven't seen it yet. DC stick is the mechine I have avalible. Rod and setting would be greatly helpful thanks, NICK
    HI; CAST IRON - Ni-Rod a couple different kinds; Ni-55, Ni-99 & so on..... Norm : SETTINGS?.. SIMILAR to 7018 if I recall :
    Last edited by nfinch86; 10-12-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: add info.

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Is this a pressure retaining part? If so, you may be in a world of liability touching it.

I am presuming, based on your question, that you have not been given clear detail about the material, required procedures, etc. If you are in Michigan, you MUST have authorization (NBIC 'R' stamp or Mich state, according to my ref book...) and approved procedures ('R' stamp: generally ASME Sec IX, unless the manual specifies other options.... State: my ref doesn't say, other than to note that the state accepts ASME Sec IX)

If it is NOT pressure retaining, you may still want to consider carefully, if it is a part that could be safety critical.

Mich law: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(wdw...me=mcl-408-768

Here is the other rules and admincode http://www.state.mi.us/orr/emi/admin...pt=CI&RngHigh=

Has having spent 34 plus years operating boilers in the state of Michigan. If you aren't licensed to do it you don't want to touch it.
    From the sound of it cast iron. It probably is a cast iron sectional boiler. Which if it is we would take a section that was leaking out. Put new gaskets in and put it back together. as welding them never was satisfactory. And you never can seem to find a new replacement section.
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

I looked it up in my 1947 edition of the welding encyclopedia and they have warnings of the critical nature of the way the boiler sections are made. I didn't study it but the first method they mention is OA welding with cast rods and complete preheat and post heat. The second way is OA brazing with bronze rod and then they mention arc process with copper rods. That is foreign to me.
    Last they do mention low carbon steel rod but don't elaborate on it.

I just looked again and I think the copper, monel and bronze rods they mention for the arc process is using carbon arc process.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

If I were you, I'd walk away from that job...
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

No offense intended here. If you are having to ask how, a boiler is not the place to practice or experiment.

Sorry
    Griff

This could be about the stupidist thing I have suggested for awhile... but a 1/2" hole might be easily fixed simply by putting a nut and bolt in it. Or a pipe plug?
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

I looked at the job today and walked away. It was a 1/2 inch rust hole with a spider web of cracks raadiating from it. It was only met to be a tempory fix if I could do anything untill the new boiler arrived at the end of the week. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by sparky123; 10-13-2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: addition

I looked at the job today and walked away. It was a 1/2 inch rust hole with a spider web of cracks raadiating from it. It was only met to be a tempory fix if I could do anything untill the new boiler arrived at the end of the week. Thanks for your input.
    Very smart move on your part. Stay in this biz long enuff and you'll walk away from a lot more.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX