Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Aluminum Boat

Default Aluminum Boat

Does anyone know where I can find some really good info on aluminum boat building? Specifically on jigs and applying material. I've seen it done a few times but been busy on my own work to pay attention to what they are doing. Would like to build in the range of 16 - 20ft. I know there are a lot plans but are they proven? Seems there priority is selling them. I would pretty pi**ed to spend the winter build something and have it handle like a whale come spring. Thanks.

Better off just to Google it, I'm buying an Aluminum hull racing Outlaw next spring for the rivers.

My 550hp fiberglass Eliminator just doesn't cut it when the rivers are low. You have to run at 75 mph to keep the boat high enough out of the water to avoid hitting stuff, and those pesky Canoeists and Kayakers always want you to slow down, but really thats more wake for them, At 75 MPH + there really is no wake.

Uruguay, small pacific country with south Altantic coasts, 3 million friendly people population.

Quote Originally Posted by Padro View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find some really good info on aluminum boat building? Specifically on jigs and applying material. I've seen it done a few times but been busy on my own work to pay attention to what they are doing. Would like to build in the range of 16 - 20ft. I know there are a lot plans but are they proven? Seems there priority is selling them. I would pretty pi**ed to spend the winter build something and have it handle like a whale come spring. Thanks.
    Padro, a good book is :

Boatbuilding with Aluminum (Hardcover)
    by Stephen F. Pollard (Author) "A boat's hull form depends upon a number of factors: the type of boat, its intended operating environment, styling preferences, the economics of manufacture, and..." (more

I am planning to build a 18 ft hunting boat with my Passport plus and spool gun, but cant find the proper aluminum sheets (5000 series) here. However the book gave me tons of valuable info.

Regards:

Jerónimo.

When I first saw this post I researched it because I fish from a 22' Willie Predator (no I don't own it) and understand what those boats can do with a 200 Merc and a pump. Most of the places we go involve 1' of water, at some point, and numerous submerged logs so it takes a badA$$ boat to do it and not get torn up. Aluminum rocks!

After one hour of looking/Googlin' around it appears that many others are looking too and finding tiny bit and pieces of info. I'd start with a digital camera and a trip to a boatyard that had THE EXACT BOAT I wanted and take a million pictures. You want an inboard and that would seem to add a lot of complexity to the planning. An outboard without a center console seems much more starightforward.

With the price of aluminum I wouldn't want to make very many mistakes.

Best of Luck

Default Boat

I'm here up in the great lakes of Can. When I was on the west coast coast Grady Whites ruled. I want to build a Donzi style craft. Big bass fishing where I live. Arnisondrive, 500hp.

Hmmmm, bass fishing, sure do miss it. I know this is a welding discussion site but I'm completely distracted for the moment. I grew up in Eastern Ont. and at the tender age of 20 left for AB. But catching monster pike and walleye here don't even compare to hooking onto a jaw shakin', tail walkin' 3lb smallmouth. Yessir, sure do miss the smallie's. How's the work situation there Padro?

Default boat

Hi ,thanks for the book reference, just what I need. All I could find is plans to buy. Not really into buying expensive info unseen. Hey Cornerstone, can't wait to get out there on my own. I seem to catch the best when I'm by myself, make up the best story's as well!!! Hahaha. Work situation not bad. Lot's of projects on hold like anywhere these days but keeping steady 5 days a week, can do more if I want. Lots of structural long span buildings, equipment, boat repair. Starting to pick up on the strange jobs more and more. Braze weld broken bronze statues, SS irregation system. Things are going well, still getting use to 40hrs a week compared to the +60 I did in Alberta, nice to have some time for myself! Fishin time!

Yeah doesn't it seem that the strangest things happen when you're all alone fishing.Check PM's for an example. And I think you're missing Alberta just a little bit?? And you could build a nice AL river boat here too!

Tried fishing with my jet boat, Doesn't troll well with the rumbling of that big butt 502

Default fishing

Cruizer, might work good for west coast tuna, Hahaa, at least turn a few heads. Seen some of the nicest jet boats out there in AB. Use to hang out by the river down by Devon. Can't even imagine going +60mph on the water.