Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default CNC/Welding job (little Project)

The plan was for my son Jeff & I to split firewood Friday afternoon/night. But, just as we got into a good rhythm the linkage on the valve body broke
    I decided waiting for a new part to get here, and since it was Friday night I could make one faster. As I sat at the computer to draw up the part I thought "MAN THIS IS A LOT O' WORK" So, I figured I'd give JB weld a try. Glued the pc. back together and let it set overnight. After running some errands this morning I put it back together to give it a try. It lasted about 10 minutes. LQQKs like that's 1 thing JB can't fix. The part is pot metal so I went back to plan "A" making a new one out of aluminum. I didn't have thick enough stock to make it one pc. so I cut 2 pcs. and tigged them together. I beefed it up where the old one broke as much as I could without it interfering with movement.
    BTW: I think this one will hold up. I was using the track loader to load the bigger logs in the splitter. First log I caught the valve handle with the backhoe bucket and spun the splitter around Didn't even bend it. We are back in business.

beautiful

lets see the mill

Yes, good repair, just for others without a mill I believe TSC has them on the shelf.

Thanks ctrhenry. It's a ShopBot. I've got some pics. around here someplace. I'll see if I can dig some up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Yes, good repair, just for others without a mill I believe TSC has them on the shelf.
    Yea, that was my first thought, but since it was Friday afternoon and it's a holiday weekend I didn't want to wait until Tuseday to order the part & wait for it to show up. Winter is comin' and we have a BIG pile O' firewood to split before it turns cold.

I have a clip of the CNC doing what it was intended to do. The "making parts" is just something I use it for, for my own stuff.

http://media.putfile.com/CNC-router-68