Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Trucks around here appear to be getting stolen with tow trucks. Some theives dropped a stolen truck off near my shop, You cuold see the dually tracks and how they rolled it in on and off the dollys. To steal a Diesel, it'll make alot of unwanted noise when you start and drive off with it, + alarm systems going off.

How long does it take to hitch up to one, lift it and drive off . A few minutes maybe and real quiet if the tow rig is a gasser. No alarms would go off unless the victim truck had mercury level switch built into the alarm.

Might not be a bad idea for you guys running portables to invest in some high visiblilty "Tire Boots" like the Police use for 24 hr suspensions for impaired.

They were on sale here in GP last week at Custom Truck Toys.

BRIGHT YELLOW !!!

One on each axle should slow them down, or at least make them thing twice before using the tow truck.

Another idea is "Line Locks" on both axles.

Theft deterrents will only stop the un-motivated thieves.

If they WANT it bad enough, you cannot stop them unless you are driving it.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

those trucks (f350's) are a joke to steal. Anyone else on this forum have one, google f350 theft and see what pops up. Easiest trucks to take.
    As other people mentioned, invest in some good quality alarm stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    If they WANT it bad enough, you cannot stop them unless you are driving it.
    Something tells me if they pop out of the ditch with a gun they are still getting your truck. You just might not be around to report it stolen.
    I like the tire boot idea, it's a pain and unfortunate that we have to do such things but I guess that is what the world is coming to.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Trucks around here appear to be getting stolen with tow trucks. Some theives dropped a stolen truck off near my shop, You cuold see the dually tracks and how they rolled it in on and off the dollys. To steal a Diesel, it'll make alot of unwanted noise when you start and drive off with it, + alarm systems going off.

How long does it take to hitch up to one, lift it and drive off . A few minutes maybe and real quiet if the tow rig is a gasser. No alarms would go off unless the victim truck had mercury level switch built into the alarm.
    Doesn't even take a few minutes. I know a repo guy who uses a wrecker with the rubber belting slings and what looks kind of like a tractor hitch bar. He just backs the hitch bar (it has a 2 5/16" ball on it) under the bumber area, raises the bar from inside the cab (hydraulics) and takes off. He then goes down the street and secures the vehicle.
    It doesn't matter to him (or the thief) if the ball tears up something.

Griff

Sorry to hear of your loss.People just can,t leave nice things alone.Hang in there good luck.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Now you guys have me all scared, so my done up 2003 F350 supercab diesel is going into Certified Radio for a full alarm system with a lift sensor and automatic kill next tuesday....

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Now you guys have me all scared, so my done up 2003 F350 supercab diesel is going into Certified Radio for a full alarm system with a lift sensor and automatic kill next tuesday....
    The bottom line is, you may slow them down...but if they want your vehicle they are going to get it. I sorry your truck was stolen.

i would think the insurance company would give you a reduced rate if you added an alarm system to it. that might help offset the $$ of the alarm.
    at the very least a home made cut off switch would at-least keep them from driving away in it. almost nothing pissess me off more than some one steeling another man's tools.
    sorry for your troubles, hope the insurance guys get ya payed off soon so you can put most of it behind ya.

just a thought ???
    how about a lap top computer with a camera out the hotel window, pointed at your truck. wont stop them but may help catch them. just set it to record to the hard drive. if nothing happens, delete the file. no waisted space on the comp. after all its probably sitting on the desk charging any way right, add a camera and ya might get lucky. well lucky would be a bad choice of words when your truck is gone, but ya get the point.

maybe a how to keep your truck safe post would be helpful. nothing so specific as to hep the bad guys, but stuff to help the rest of the working fokes with home made and purchased safty devices.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

The problem with that toggle kill switch for us in really cold Canada is that the automatic warm up @ automatic remote start wouldn't work. Thats why I went for the top of the line alarm, motion level , and automatic kill after somebody starting it and attempting to drive away. They have 10 seconds after they turn that ignition switch before the detector automatically kills the engine. Since the glowplugs take 5 of that at least, they would not get far.

I suppose a wrecker could pick it up, Alarms would be quite loud when they did that though.
    Last edited by cruizer; 10-11-2008 at 08:51 AM.