Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cracks in Aluminum Weld

I've welded up my gas tank, and when I pressurized it up to check for leaks, I split a weld open. I've also noticed that cracks form very easily in other projects with just a bit of applied stress.

Specs:
    .125" 5052 AL
    4043 filler
    TIG, 100% argon

Whats going on?

Default alum. cracks

hey jpmassy i am not an expert but i would try 6061 with that filler or try
    5051? with 5000series alum. i am sure that someone with more exp. will jump in and we can both learn a new tip! good luck shoprat

Lots of good information from alcotec (bought out by esab):

http://www.alcotec.com/us/en/educati...um-Welding.cfm

"Alloys possessing from 1% to 2.5% magnesium, such as 3004 and 5052, are very sensitive to cracking when using base alloy filler. Alloys with 3.5% magnesium and more exhibit low sensitivity to weld cracking. The use of a 5% magnesium content filler, such as 5356, to weld 5052 can provide a higher magnesium percentage in the diluted weld metal and reduce sensitivity to weld cracking. The more magnesium an aluminum magnesium alloy contains, the less likely it is to crack; thus, the high magnesium content fillers 5356, 5183, and 5556 are commonly used to weld both wrought and cast aluminum magnesium base alloys."

Use 5356 next time.

-dseman

I have an overflow tank from canton that cracked just like that
    mm 210
    dynasty 200dx

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jpmassey View Post
    I've welded up my gas tank, and when I pressurized it up to check for leaks, I split a weld open. I've also noticed that cracks form very easily in other projects with just a bit of applied stress.

Specs:
    .125" 5052 AL
    4043 filler
    TIG, 100% argon

Whats going on?
    The picture appears to have very little filler and a bunch of contamination.

Griff

I sorta doubt it was just filler that caused your problem. I've welded loads of 5052 with 4043 and not had any problems. It is not your first choice but it does a good enuff job that a crack such as that is not a common occurance.
    I think it is more of a lack of fusion judging from your pic. Looks like maybe moving to slow by the looks and it seems crowned a bit much like filler was added too soon as well. I would strive for more of a keyhole effect myself...That bead will weld with fusion alone. Aluminum will bridge across 2 parts easily without penetrating completely thru unless you make it hot enuff before adding filler and moving forward.
    What does the back side of the weld look like would be the question. I realize it is a tank tho, so you prolly can't see it. I would cut out the weld 100% and crank the heat more and let it get wetter before I moved forward. HTH

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

That may be tearing from the root. Do you have a keyhole in front of your weld puddle while welding?

Also, are your welds cooling too fast? Have you considered using a little preheat? That sheet of aluminum is an awfully good heat sink for sucking the heat away from the weld rapidly.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by dseman View Post
    Lots of good information from alcotec (bought out by esab):

http://www.alcotec.com/us/en/educati...um-Welding.cfm

"Alloys possessing from 1% to 2.5% magnesium, such as 3004 and 5052, are very sensitive to cracking when using base alloy filler. Alloys with 3.5% magnesium and more exhibit low sensitivity to weld cracking. The use of a 5% magnesium content filler, such as 5356, to weld 5052 can provide a higher magnesium percentage in the diluted weld metal and reduce sensitivity to weld cracking. The more magnesium an aluminum magnesium alloy contains, the less likely it is to crack; thus, the high magnesium content fillers 5356, 5183, and 5556 are commonly used to weld both wrought and cast aluminum magnesium base alloys."

Use 5356 next time.

-dseman

Interesting....thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    The picture appears to have very little filler and a bunch of contamination.

Griff
    I sanded and then SS wire brushed it. The edges are plasma cut, so that probably didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    That may be tearing from the root. Do you have a keyhole in front of your weld puddle while welding?

Also, are your welds cooling too fast? Have you considered using a little preheat? That sheet of aluminum is an awfully good heat sink for sucking the heat away from the weld rapidly.
    Hmmm....I might be watching for enough penetration. This is my 1st major AL welding project, so I was excited just not to blow a 1/2" hole in it.

I didn't think that preheating was required on such thin material?