Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hey now don't be using that 4 letter word just yet... (snow)

I'm going to give your technique a try myself, and now that I know cornerstone has a puny 135T I don't feel so bad about owning my 130XP!
    Even better yet I'm feeling really good about having 220 wired into my garage now that I know Black Wolf doesn't have 220!
    Sorry guys I couldn't resist!!!

But seriously I agree with cornerstone, I think you have the ability to become an excellent instructor... when your finally ready to retire from the rat race.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Quote Originally Posted by c wagner
    Even better yet I'm feeling really good about having 220 wired into my garage now that I know Black Wolf doesn't have 220!
    Yeah, Yeah... Rub it in.

Rental places - Not much I can do about it, except buy it.

Pricey, Pricey.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by c wagner View Post
    Hey now don't be using that 4 letter word just yet... (snow)

I'm going to give your technique a try myself, and now that I know cornerstone has a puny 135T I don't feel so bad about owning my 130XP!
    Sorry guys I couldn't resist!!!

But seriously I agree with cornerstone, I think you have the ability to become an excellent instructor... when your finally ready to retire from the rat race.
    Hey clay,ouch!. lol Had to go puny man, no room with the Mercedes and 300 parked in there. Just kidding,but the the 300 is a big car.http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...cons/icon6.gif

sounds like Black needs to call Midnite Electric to drop a new outlet.

Disregard the above quote in it's entirity.... There is absolutely nothing wrong with using GMAW "Out of Position" and to even make such a statement is beyond ridiculous. Lincoln, Miller, Hobart etc all teach it, and it is a reputable procedure. Also, his statement basically tells all the pipeliners that they are wrong (with weaving) too. Enough said on that.

As for welding techniques, if you were to quote Lincoln Electric's Stick Electrode Guide (I'll get you the ISBN # later) they have many different techniques (for stick) listed that can be modified for use with wire feed.

Black Wolf,
    With regard to welding out of position, you are going to end up with a much better weld if you use FCAW or SMAW. GMAW has inherent side wall fusion issues. To run it vert need to be short circuiting, not the best choice for for quality. As far as the weave, yes it works great for SMAW. That is not what we were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by hogan View Post
    With regard to welding out of position, you are going to end up with a much better weld if you use FCAW or SMAW. GMAW has inherent side wall fusion issues. To run it vert need to be short circuiting, not the best choice for for quality. As far as the weave, yes it works great for SMAW. That is not what we were talking about.
    I offer the following rebuttle respectfully, and hopefully you take it as such. I have had a long day, so tact may be somewhat lacking.

I am not interested in comparing GMAW vs FCAW vs SMAW as this is not the question. I disagree with your previous statements regarding using GMAW out of position. You offered them as fact, and they are merely your opinion. All of the respected welding institutions teach GMAW without reservation, so either they are ALL in error, or you are.

If you are only able to use GMAW in short circuit transfer at lower voltages to weld vertical up, that is a short coming on your part, not the process. I can weld at much higher voltages and still have successful welds that will pass root or face bends.

As far as weaving goes....Stacking molten metal on top of molten metal is just that... regardless of process. Flux or shielding gas makes no difference. FCAW, GMAW, SMAW, GTAW all stack molten metal on top of molten metal.

I fail to see basis for your arguement for that point.

I am content to let this go as I do not come on here to squabble. I am done arguing.

Now, pictures as promised.

I has a brief moment to multitask while talking my apprentice through a 2G root bead on 6" sch40 pipe using 1/8" 6010. Now, cut me a little slack - I was talking him through it and answering questions while I was welding up this coupon.

1882 Coupon in position welded.
    1895 Shows flatness of 2nd and cap pass.
    1902 1st pass.
    1903 2nd pass.
    1904 Cap pass.

Yeah, I even left in pics of the junky start to the cap. We were telling jokes by then.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Later,
    Jason

Another picture of the same coupon laid down for a better view.

Hopefully these pics have enabled me to illustrate my point.

Have a good night everyone.
    Later,
    Jason

I was demonstrating one to my apprentice too.

Evening Cary,

Hey.... You wanna trade apprentices???

Nah, didn't think so. LOL.

This one's coming along OK.... At least I convinced him to get Black Carhartts instead of Brown - so now I don't have to call him my "Sh!t coloured Mini-Me"

In the pic (background to right) he must be rolling that pipe coupon to find the spot he did right and wanted to show me! In his defense, he has never touched pipe before this morning, and we DID start early (6am) But I still found it funny that after he did his 6010 root, and a feeble 7018 hot pass, he was asking about the Roll-out wheel....

Um..........Not!

After 3 more coupons he still hasn't got the hang of a 3-pass stringer cap for the 2G... but he is learning how important the root pass and hot pass are as you weld out, so that is a plus.

I'm convinced that your apprentice has better "Rod Control"

Have a good one bud.
    Later,
    Jason

Jason - I appreciate those pictures very much.

Thanks for posting yours as well SBerry.