Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default convert old mig to wire feeder

Can i conver a an old mig to a wire feeder?
    Here are my thoghts get a mig suchas a hobart handler(or similerly sized mig from ther copany) remove the coils and transformer and anything else that converts the power from the wall to welding curent. Then conect it to a constant voltage output (engine drive set for CV).

I bet it could be done but I question what benefit you will see. I would look for an older wire feed to match with the machine you have now. I don't think you will save any money by hacking a small MIG unless you have it on hand and a standalone feeder will likely be better made and last longer than the components in a HH wire feed.

What CV machine do you have?

Another thing to consider is that even if you did modify a HH you would need to start with a machine the same size as the power source you'll be using. You can't use a HH130 wire feed on a 300A engine driven welder as it can't handle the current.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebu Fellenz View Post
    You can't use a HH130 wire feed on a 300A engine driven welder as it can't handle the current.
    Of course you can. But you'll have to know the limitations or you'll fry the little feeder.
    Nothing wrong with using a small gun on a large machine for tight space / low power jobs. Or do you think that all those small, but high quality guns are only made for upgrading Harbor Freight welders? Nevertheless, a real feeder unit is way stronger and you would usually have a quick disconnect for different guns.
    Steffen
    Krefeld, Germany

You need a drive mechanism intended for constant current to run it off a stick power supply like your mobile rig. Just gutting a mig machine is only part of the problem. The wire speed rate will be determined by the arc length, and without a robot welding for you, that length will vary with your every move.

Keep an eye on CL and ebay. I just sold a 24' Push-Pull Hobart suitcase feeder with both CC and CV capabilities (perfect for what you want) - it went for $260 delivered. I bought a brand new Airco feeder for $130 delivered about 6 months ago. The deals are out there, but you need to be looking for them.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Can I ask really strange and obscurer questions.

Can I remove the engine from my car and replace it with a steam plant and electric motors and then put it in the garden.

If I walk to work and you eat pie will the Jets win the World Series.

Yes Mr. Melter you can as long as it is legal in your area you can do anything you wish.

Good luck

Do these engine drives not have AUX power?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I think the issue is that he's already got the welding power supply, and just wants to add GMAW capability to it rather than having to buy another full welder just to use his engine drive as a gen set.

The problem is that a decent suitcase CV/CC feeder is going to cost as much as a whole MM212 new. Used they fetch a good premium as well, but if there's an oddball out there, you can do pretty good.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    You need a drive mechanism intended for constant current to run it off a stick power supply like your mobile rig. .

He just said an engine drive set to cv
    So no, he doesn't need a feeder intended for cc.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

And, since he has CV capabilities, he can buy almost any old wire feed on Ebay and cable it up and run it.
    I have two old Miller 30A feeders that still push wire.
    Jeff