Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have a shade 9 gold lens in my old flip down hood, love it! Would love to try some other colors!
    Millermatic 135
    Hypertech Powermax 600
    Lincoln Buzzbox
    Smith O/A

Not sure that it's exactly what you're looking for, but AOSafety.com has WELD-COOL filter plates in shades 10 and 12: http://209.200.67.149/pdf/headnface/weldcool.pdf

i have been a boilermaker for goin on 5 years now, about 2 2 and a half years ago i was on a job seal welding with a suitcase and i cane across a fibre metal lens that had a mirrored finish on the front, well... i ended up breaking it in my bucket and when i went to the toolroom to go get another one, somehow i had got the only one out of about a hundred and when i asked the toolroom man if he had seen anymore like it he replied, " we dont have any of those in here, but i have one that has a mirrored finish on it." well he explained that he had had it for about 20 years or so and they dont make them anymore. he said, "here. go ahead and have this one." i didnt really want to take it concidering he had had it for 20 some odd years, but he insisted. i took it.

come to find out it was an american optical weld-cool lens. i fell in love with it immediatley. i have had it in my hood for a couple of years now and you couldnt find a way to get me to part with it. i must say though in those couple years i have put countless hours welding with that lens everything from mig, tig, smaw, stainless tig, stainless stick, stainless mig, pulsed mig, inconel, and miles and miles of carbon, and every inch of puddle i have looked at through that lens i saw crystal clear. more puddle less smoke. i have welded with all sorts of lenses, i even just bought a gold lens (glass), but i just dont like welding w/o that cobalt flame.

i have had many ppl use my hood and ask where to get one, and i myself have wanted to find another one just to have in case mine breaks gets stolen or i just want to give one to a beginning welder with lots of potential. ive never found one though.

thanks to this forum im goona try to get my hands on one or two of those new lenses, but ive never liked those polycarbonate lenses, there too easy to damage, in my line of work i have to put my hood in some pretty rough spots and i find myself taking my lens out quite a bit to change clears or for whatever reason opening up the opprotunity for them to get messed up. and there just not the same as glass.

thanks for the lead on these new weld-cools though im sure theyll be a few people happy to hear about that. and im kinda curious myself

Smile Original AO Cobalt #12 lens found - for sale

For those that are interested, my dad recently found an ORIGINAL and long discontinued American Optical Weld-Cool plate lens in the Cobalt shade #12. Brand new in envelope, its been stored in a drawer for years. Put up today for sale on ebay item #190353575820
    He beleives he may have a few more in storage so if found we will post those as well. If you're interested keep an eye on e-Bay. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by weldersdaughter View Post
    For those that are interested, my dad recently found an ORIGINAL and long discontinued American Optical Weld-Cool plate lens in the Cobalt shade #12. Brand new in envelope, its been stored in a drawer for years. Put up today for sale on ebay item #190353575820
    He beleives he may have a few more in storage so if found we will post those as well. If you're interested keep an eye on e-Bay. Thanks!
    For a $175 , no thanks. Smells fishy to me. What was your starting bid ? Highway robbery imo .
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    For a $175 , no thanks. Smells fishy to me. What was your starting bid ? Highway robbery imo .
    Oh no, no, no!
    Ill bet it goes for over $400.00
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

My dad has been in the welding business for over 40 years, I can assure you these are the real thing. He's a bit of a pack rat and god only knows what other antique equipment is laying around in his shop, but he came across this lens and remembered people asking about them. He is keeping one or two for himself because they are now extinct, but is willing to part with this one since there is such high demand. As a welder he knows there is nothing better than this lens. I stand behind my 100% rating on eBay and wouldn't sell anything fake or "fishy".

You should probably put a mention of this in the AWS forum, and maybe Welding Web .... the more bidders, the better, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    You should probably put a mention of this in the AWS forum, and maybe Welding Web .... the more bidders, the better, right?
    thanks for the tip, will do!
    trying to spread the word since many people believe these are extinct and probably gave up looking long ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post

it sold for $360 i saw a few listed last year that went over 400. so 175 would be a bargain,its unfortunate that they are are not available