Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

One more, and thanks but I figured it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile

The cool blue lenses have been a hot topic on the AWS forum. If anyone wants to part with one you can get well over the $40.00 price I saw here.

Griff

Blue was always popular with Oxy/hydrogen welding, didn't know it had such a following for arc, then again, I don't know everything. Gold gets my vote over green though.
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

Quote Originally Posted by projectwelder View Post
    Blue was always popular with Oxy/hydrogen welding, didn't know it had such a following for arc, then again, I don't know everything. Gold gets my vote over green though.
    the blue for gas welding is a different type of lens.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=16969

great market price is now $300+

i found the new version of the weld-cool for 21 bux a lens i think im going to try it but i have to buy 5,if anyone wants one let me know.
    Last edited by beezaadict; 10-12-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beezaadict View Post
    the blue for gas welding is a different type of lens.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=16969

great market price is now $300+

i found the new version of the weld-cool for 21 bux a lens i think im going to try it but i have to buy 5,if anyone wants one let me know.

Don't bother getting one (or 5 for that matter ). They are not the same as the original. They are a Gold plated plastic lens, and the color is green/yellow. They are a cheep knock off of the original clearly made to sell based on name recognition. In short they suck!

In both my fixed shade helmets I have been using G.W. Harris gold coated lenses. Both my shade 10's, which is basically all I use, have been amber tinted. However I went to plug in a shade9 into my big window and I was suprised to find that the lense had a blue tint to it. I found that I could see the arc and the puddle with exceptional clarity through this lense. I have no idea if all the shade 9 from Harris are like this, or just this particular lense. I have been having a hard time getting my LWS to order the right lenses. None the less, this particular Harris lense has a blue tint.

Don't know if it is the same as the old style lenses you guys are searching for, but I just thought that I would put that out there for you.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Don't bother getting one (or 5 for that matter ). They are not the same as the original. They are a Gold plated plastic lens, and the color is green/yellow. They are a cheep knock off of the original clearly made to sell based on name recognition. In short they suck!
    thanx for the info i almost pulled the trigger on those

shorerider16 In both my fixed shade helmets I have been using G.W. Harris gold coated lenses. Both my shade 10's, which is basically all I use, have been amber tinted. However I went to plug in a shade9 into my big window and I was suprised to find that the lense had a blue tint to it. I found that I could see the arc and the puddle with exceptional clarity through this lense. I have no idea if all the shade 9 from Harris are like this, or just this particular lense. I have been having a hard time getting my LWS to order the right lenses. None the less, this particular Harris lense has a blue tint.

Don't know if it is the same as the old style lenses you guys are searching for, but I just thought that I would put that out there for you.

thanx the more leads the better,im having a heack of a time finding any len's by that name? do you have a link for them

thanx!!

Quote Originally Posted by beezaadict View Post
    thanx for the info i almost pulled the trigger on those

thanx the more leads the better,im having a heack of a time finding any len's by that name? do you have a link for them

thanx!!
    I actually looked on-line myself but couldn't find anything. If your local welding shop doesn't have any, try Barry Hamel, I believe this is one of the companies that my LWS get's there supllies from. Sorry if it's a bit of a vague lead, but that's all I've got to go on too.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Default Cobalt Blue

The Ore mentioned in this discussion as being mined is cobalt, which was used to achieve the blue color of the lense. There are different types of cobalt. I believe the type used in the lense was cobalt 87, which is not radioactive. Cobalt 89 however is a radioactive material. This lead the Manufacturer to believe that the Cobalt in the lense might put off a small amount of radiation while welding. Manufacturing of the lense was stopped due to this possibility.
    My Dad had two that were given to him while working on the ship yard in Pasagula, Mississippi. He held on to the lenses for years. Eventually, one lense was stolen on another job and one got the corner slightly chipped as someone mentioned here.
    I have searched and searched for the lense. I thought I had found two at a welding supply store in Chicago, only to find out that they were sold the day before. They sold for $200 each. I would most certainly pay $200 for a cobalt blue lense.
    The closest thing I have found is the lincoln super visibilty shade #10. Have no idea if all shades are the same color or not. I always use my Miller elite series hood anyways but would still like to have the cobalt lense for home use. The super visibility lense does however provide what it says. Super Visibility.
    Last edited by boilertrashsam; 02-13-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Default Weld-Cool Lens

Not sure if this is what some are looking for, AOSafety (American Optical) just re-released the WELD-COOL gold coated blue lens in shade 10 & 12 for 2 x4 1/2 size only. Prices run $39 each but Green Safety Supply .com has them for $29 ea. in both shades, most online outfits have only shade 10. These are not like the other gold coated lens that is not blue, but green or amber.

AOS #84910-00000 shade 10
    AOS #84912-00000 shade 12

I had these when I was in High school in 78 and also had a 2 x4 1/4 glass shade 6 cobalt blue lens from AO for AL welding, but got broken in the move and I think paid $18 back then for them. They were also used in the steel mills and glass blowing biz.