Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default welding mask lens colors

not sure the right section for this question but because im working with auto related AL. welding thought id ask here.

today i had the opportunity to be instructed by a long time very skilled old salt,and was able to ask alot of questions and get some really good advice

he let me try several different types of lenses in his vintage mask that were
    different colors,and WOW what a difference in the view of the puddle and the work piece,so now im spoiled and am searching for the lenses on the interweb
    ive only been able to find the gold, he said some of them were no longer made
    like the "cool blue"

my question is anyone know sources for somthing comparable to the blue lens and were to find it?

thanx

Not sure about blue lenses for arc welding, there were cobalt glass blowers googles that were blue but they don't block UV so they are a no,no. There were popular for alluminum gas welding at one time, they caused cateracts, and vision loss for a lot of people.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

The lenses that are used today are designed on a century of occupational health and safety data from hotwork.

See ANSI Z49.1 - which has been constantly updated since 1944. See also ANSI Z87.1, which requires them to meet UV, visible, and IR transmittance requirements.

If your lens doesn't say Z87.1 and list the shade appropriate for the process you are using, it isn't safe.

To compare the relative value of one's eyes, think of this... If I won the Powerball, I might be able to buy a new private jet. Bill Gates can probably buy a new private COUNTRY! But nobody in the world is rich enough to buy a new set of eyes. And living with vision loss that was 100% preventable will really bring you down.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

i shouldve been clear, the blue lens is not a cobalt gas welding lens, they are safe approved lenses available until semi-recently made by a company
    called american optical known as cool blue,the old salt that showed me them is a nuclear sub weld inspector,over 30 years on the job. i found out the ore used to make them is no longer mined for and they were not dropped for any saftey reason.

i would never jeprodize my eyes and use junk. or crackpot crap

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=5902 theres a little mention of them

Thumbs up

The american optical Cobalt blue lenses are obsolete. I spent a few weeks locating them about six years ago for a customer. He wanted it for tig welding aluminum in a shade 12. We got a hold of the last two american optical had in stock back then. they weren't cheap. If I remember right they were about $40.00 ech back then. He had used an old timers that was teaching him & fell in love with it. He bugged me daily for weeks till I finally found him one. I think I still have the other one in my #3 hood I will have to check. Now that I have a tig I'll have to try it out.
    Dynasty 200DX With TEC Superflex 9 & 17 Torches,
    Hypertherm 30A Plasma
    Rincoln SP130T Mig

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn B View Post
    The american optical Cobalt blue lenses are obsolete. I spent a few weeks locating them about six years ago for a customer. He wanted it for tig welding aluminum in a shade 12. We got a hold of the last two american optical had in stock back then. they weren't cheap. If I remember right they were about $40.00 ech back then. He had used an old timers that was teaching him & fell in love with it. He bugged me daily for weeks till I finally found him one. I think I still have the other one in my #3 hood I will have to check. Now that I have a tig I'll have to try it out.

nice,my same exact situation.id pay 40 bux easy for a 11 or 12.

Default Gas Welding Aluminum?

Beez
    correct me if I am Mistaken but the tone of your question sounded like gas welding aluminum.... which has a flare at puddle... tig does not...
    on that assumption.... the cobalt blue lense was not very good, but much superior to standard oxy acet... googles... the standard for many years were the deep kelly green of the wwII vintage BurtWeld goggles... which displayed nearly no flare (I still cherish the pair that was given to me 30 plus years ago) unfortunately the pure green filter color was achieved by adding radioactive uranium salts to the glass... not really healthy...... (see the man made mineral/glass trinitite... from the trinity site)..... the good news is that kent white sells a non radioactive equivelent... at his site tinmantech...

http://www.tinmantech.com/

hope this helps
    Heiti

I have a original American Optical Cobalt Weld-Cool blue #12 lens. I got it about 22 years ago when my welding instructor suggested it. It was about $20 at the time. I got a small chip in one corner a few years latter and tried unsuccessfully to get another. Over the past 5 years or so I keep asking at every welding supply shop I go to with no luck. Most guys dont even know what I'm talking about. I was told at some point that the blue tint came from cobalt which is a radioactive material. So it dosn't sound like they will be coming back any time soon. FWIW it dose say that it meets ANSI Z87.1-1969 and 1979. I have the envelope that it came in and pics of it if anybody is interested. I just dont know how to post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    I have a original American Optical Cobalt Weld-Cool blue #12 lens. I got it about 22 years ago when my welding instructor suggested it. It was about $20 at the time. I got a small chip in one corner a few years latter and tried unsuccessfully to get another. Over the past 5 years or so I keep asking at every welding supply shop I go to with no luck. Most guys dont even know what I'm talking about. I was told at some point that the blue tint came from cobalt which is a radioactive material. So it dosn't sound like they will be coming back any time soon. FWIW it dose say that it meets ANSI Z87.1-1969 and 1979. I have the envelope that it came in and pics of it if anybody is interested. I just dont know how to post here.

if you email me the pics i can post them,id like to have pics though,thats the lens id love to have!!!

xtract_83@yahoo.com

cheers

The pics of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images