Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

because it considerably easyer to see whats going on without all the smoke and slag. nothing wrong with lerning with flux if its all you got, but if you just bought a new HH187 why do it the hard way.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

true. didnt think about smoke. hope u enjoy ur new soon to be new welder
    welding...its awsome

Since I've been learning welding at home, I walk and drive around with an eye out for potential scrap in dumpsters and other locations. Places you've driven by a 100 times and not noticed suddenly become gold mines. Bed frames, rebar cutoffs, busted office chairs, etc. are all great to practice on. Just remember to use judgment and ask the smaller places if it's OK to dumpster dive. If it's a big commercial business like Home Depot, I don't bother asking because I don't mind getting told to leave (though it's never happened) and it would be too much trouble to find who to ask anyway. But for smaller businesses I try to ask because they might get more upset. If you keep an eye out, you'll soon find more than you can can stash.

Another technique is to pick the best metal supplier in your area (that doesn't mind dealing with hobbyists) and spend a few bucks there a few times. You don't need to spend a lot because the guys working the floor don't really care how much you spend (their not on commission), but once they recognize you, you'll feel more comfortable about asking to rummage in the recycle bin. Half the time they let me do that for free after I've spend $20 or so.

gotta love the dive. only thing i had to pay for on this hole thing was sone welding wire (flux core), a few boxes of screws and a few bags of cement.
    now i got a 2story 22'X20' shop. its amazing what some people will throw out.
    ok so its not a perfect shop and it still needs a lil more work, but hay for the price its great. and i dont have to work on my truck in the rain anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

fun4now,
    outrageous shop! I'm so HAPPY for you!!! I see you're still sleeping in that tent
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Go to any large weld shops and explain who you are and your intentions. Lot of times they get rid of lots of scrap under a foot.
    After awhile, even THEY gotta clean up their shop sometime!!! Lot of scrap on the side of the road before rubbish day. Metal shops have a scrap bin that was mentioned earlier, and I also buy my stuff from the recyle places. I don't know in your area if you can got to the dump and they let you pick up pieces from there or not. Once your friends know that you are looking for junk metal, you might have more than what you want Also, check for places that build boats and trailers, LOTS of scrap there! I guess that goes for anyone who builds things out of metal.....
    good luck, and don't worry 'bout the perfect size coupons!
    I'm not late...

Go on craigs list and put in an ad looking for free scrap iron. Lot of people probably have stuff that they want to get rid of that might be perfect for you!
    I'm not late...

fun4now,
    outrageous shop! I'm so HAPPY for you!!! I see you're still sleeping in that tent

naa its an old pic, but if i dont get another room built onto the house by winter for the lil one to have a room i may well be in the dog house.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    naa its an old pic, but if i dont get another room built onto the house by winter for the lil one to have a room i may well be in the dog house.
    be shure to make the addition out of metal with lots of pics . additions to a house arent bad as long as their not the same size of the existing house . we did that and added on 1,500 square feet the addition was mostly our 3 car garage .
    welding...its awsome

like what was said look on craigs list. it kinda depends on where ur at how much scrap u can get. most of the scrap ive picked up has been angle iron. thats pratically all i learned to weld on. just dont find an old beat up camaro cause its not worth it .
    welding...its awsome