Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Makin grill from butane tank

Well here goes my first attempt,hope I can,I see them everywere how do they cook?any advice? Post some pics of yours pleeze!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HOTROD; 09-20-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Add on

Best advice, mike sure that tank has been cleaned of any Butane, usually caustic dipped, prior to doing any cutting or welding on the tank. I know most people know this, but I would feel bad if something bad happened and I didn;t say anything.

That said, tanks makes pretty good barbeques. Depending on how advanced a cooker you are, you could look to putting a box on the side to hold the coals to make for indirect heating. If you are going direct only, look for a way to increase or decrease the heat by raising or lowering the coals. Also, vents to let in air and vents to let out exhaust
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

Default tanks

Either fill it with water or purge with Nitrogen gas prior to cutting into the tank. It does not take much butane/propane to give you very bad day!
    Artist Blacksmith
    Historic Downtown
    Paris, Texas
    Dynasty 200dx
    Trailblazer 302
    12VS wire feeder
    Lincoln 215
    Miller Passport
    Miller 375 plasma
    Hossfeld bender
    Antique SA200

I've got an old tank hiding behind my shed awaiting it's fate as a smoker, just gotta find the time to giterdone. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was nervous about cutting it. my plan is to fill it with water.

If you are making it a smoker, consider making it a reverse flow smoker. My understanding is that they heat much more evenly. For the doors, I've read to cut them out about 90%, tack the hinge on, then cut the last bit of it. You get the door perfectly aligned that way.
    Millermatic 180 Auto Set

There shouldn't be a problem if you fill it with water. That's a good tip about the hinges.
    Jim

Yeah, purging before flame cutting,pretty important. Or else,"But where is the earth shattering kaboom". -Marvin the Martian/Looney Tunes

Default Grillin

To late I already cut doors out! I geuss this will be my PROTOTYPE

i would start by making a nice angle iron frame to hold it up at a comfortable bbq'ing height and go from there..maybe a tray along the front to hold your sauce, brushes, etc...a table on the side to hold some plates or whatever..maybe a shelf down on the bottom of the angle iron frame..you can cut some vent holes and use some flat bar to make a slide so the vents can open or close however much you like..I would just start with a frame and get creative from there.

As for the hinges...just tack the cut pieces(doors) in place how you think they would line up originally and then tack/weld your hinges. Cut the tacks you used to line everything up and should work perfect.
    Last edited by albertawelder; 09-27-2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: To add a point

Thanks ALBERTAWELDER sounds like a starting point

In regards to fitting the doors, I use flat bar tabs about 2" long (4 on each door) with the center of the tab at the edge of the door with the tacks about 1/2" from the door edge.

You can then just drop the door into the opening and it won't fall in and will be flush and easy to align. Stick a couple of spacers in the bottom gap and fit/weld your hinges. Then remove the tabs and tacks.
    "If you build it, they will come!"