Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Desertrider33,

I realize that Milwaukee is an American company. I recently purchased one of their 4 1/2" angle grinders and was disappointed when I found out it was made in one of the Asian countries. I'm not so gun shy of buying European imports mainly because those countries also buy our products. My local welding store is trying to get me to buy a Metabo 14" abrasive saw at 249.00 which is in the ball park of these saws. Metabo is also a German company and actually they started out making drills and the name actually is derived from that, they were going to call it Metal Boren and shortened it to Metabo. I had actually considered buying their 4 1/2" grinder but it does not have a paddle switch which is what I need due to an injury.

Now I have to decide do I want an abrasive saw or one of these saws. I also saw something on their site which interested me and at a price I'd be willing to pay. They have a magnetic drill which resembles the Hougen Rota-Broach. I'd opt for the one which will go from 7/16 to 2 and I think it was 3/8. Anyway I know it was over 2" and that would be a big plus for me.

I do have a recurring job which I have to cut 3/4 x 3/4 angle and 3/4 square tubing to make trays which go into a drying oven. I currently borrow an abrasive saw to cut this job and spend a good deal of time removing the burrs left by the abrasive saw. Would one of these saws with the proper blade cut down my time deburring the parts before assembling them? This would be a big factor in making my decision on which saw to buy. I also build some aluminum frames from 1" square tubing in an octagonal shape. I currently cut aluminum with a standard 12" chop saw with either an 80 or 120 tooth blade and lube it with either Do-All or Valvoline Stick Wax and in a pinch I've found that nozzle spray will work too.

I'm on a tight budget and right now can only afford to buy one saw.

Thanks for the input!
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Yes, cutting with the toothed blade will greatly decrease your de-burring time. That is one of the things I like about the Evolution miter saw and hand circular saws I have and one of the reasons I am planning to buy the Evolution 14" chop saw as well, at some point in the future. I still use my abrasive chop saws, but having the clean cut of the toothed blade is nice too.

The saw will have no problem cutting the metals you described with ease.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Desertrider33,

Now I'm leaning toward the toothed blade. The abrasive blade won't handle the aluminum. The fact that I can reduce my deburring time is a big plus for me. I'll have to see if there is anyone in my area carrying the Evolution saws.

Thanks for the input!

Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

I don't know if you have Airgas welding supply out there but out here they carry Evolution.
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

i just used a Milwaukee 14" tubgsten saw blade saw to cut a bunch of solid bar.
    3/8", 1/2", a lot of 5/8" and 1"

had a freud metal demon blade from epray.
    blade=$40
    worked a charm and still going strong.

think the blade that came with the saw was a POS

the saw is fine, well made and designed. tool less vice....*****...cast base.

just dont lean on it when your cutting.

the blades should be re sharponable if you dont need to replace lots of tips

Gord, which saw do you have?

From the pics on the website, it appeared to me the Evolution Rage 2 and Raptor 2 chop saws have a cast base...?

My Rage 3 miter saw has a very sturdy cast base, no complaints about it at all.
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Desertrider33,

Yes we have Airgas out my way, that's who I buy all of my welding supplies from. Ours doesn't currently have the Evolution brand they're pushing the Metabo products and carry Milwaukee as well. I'd really like to actually see the saw before I lay down my $$$ for it if you know what I mean. I guess I'm kind of old fashioned in that respect. Anyway thanks for all of the info it's helped me considerably in my decision on which saw to buy.

Thanks again!

Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Quote Originally Posted by gordfraser View Post
    i just used a Milwaukee 14" tubgsten saw blade saw to cut a bunch of solid bar.
    3/8", 1/2", a lot of 5/8" and 1"

had a freud metal demon blade from epray.
    blade=$40
    worked a charm and still going strong.

think the blade that came with the saw was a POS

the saw is fine, well made and designed. tool less vice....*****...cast base.

just dont lean on it when your cutting.

the blades should be re sharponable if you dont need to replace lots of tips
    Well a blade is the least of my worries they're easily replaced. The main thing is the saw it's self. Is it sturdy and well made? If that is good then a blade is minor.

I was looking at the Rage2 and it appeared that it had the cast base but again I'd like to see one in person to verify that it is sturdy. I think I will call the 800 number on their website and ask if there are any dealers in my area and I will actually go and look at it before I buy it.

Thanks for the input!

Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

The blade is the thing doing the cutting, and over time it will be -- by far -- your biggest expense. At $100-150 a pop, you don't want to blow one in the first five minutes of work.

For what it's worth, I also use the Milwaukee cold saw with ebay-sourced Freud Diablo blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    So far as I know, the Evolutions are made in Germany and the company is German.

Milwaukee is a US company. Makita is Japanese.
    Milwaukee was sold by the Swedish firm Atlas Copco to the Japanese firm, Techtronics, in October 2004. It hasn't been in American hands since 1995.

Evolution saws and blades are from Sheffield, England.