Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I have the Makita LC-1230 and I absolutely love it. It is a beast.

I cut lots and lots of stainless tube and it is FAST and ACCURATE. The only downside is it is LOUD.

I have tried a few different blades, and the new ones my by Lenox are the best I have tried, even compared to the Makita blade which is quite good.

If you have one of these saws and are looking at blades in person, you cna tell almost right away if the blade is good or not based on how big the carbides are.

Big carbides means more sharpenings and more heat resistance which is very important.

The other thing to keep in mind if that these saws want to cut fast, you need to push them a bit or you will just cook the blade, they need to be making chips as the chips are what evacuate the heat in the cut. It takes some practice but man these saws are excellent.

I only ever use my bandsaw for really awkward stuff now. The Makita is easily 4x faster on average.

EDIT: here is a video I made of me cutting a stainless steel pipe for a header collector- I actually went a little too slow in this video, for reference.

Cool illustration, I'll have to check one out. I returned my Evo Rage II and I'm in the market for another chopper.

For what it's worth, I thought I'd throw in a couple of photos of a Evolution saw stand I built. The wing is pretty handy: it folds down, has a pull out extension and I've mounted a ruler on it for approximate dimensions. The 3/4" plate on the bottom keeps the table from tipping and the handles pull out for moving. One of the feet is adjustable to accommodate irregularities in the concrete floor. I've had the saw about two years and have just put on my 3rd blade (72 tooth). Great saw, expensive blades. Note the chip deflector on the right side of the blade, it sure minimizes chips flying every where.

MTBob
    Logan Lathe
    Clausing Mill
    Walker Turner Drill Press

Default lets remember

what these saws are intended and designed for - Rough in Steel work. If you want exact striaight lines with precise angles then get (like others previous mentioned) a coolant cooled band saw or a Bridgeport.

I have been building custom trailers and work surfaces for over 20 years and have personally had a Dewalt multicutter for over 6 years and it has never let me down. It has cut 2 in solid round bar stock without issue many times and does exactally what it is supposed to and quite well.

Last week I added to my tool box the Evolution Steel Saw 5 http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...n_evo230x.html

and also the Evolution Steel Saw 2
    http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...on_raptor.html

the both have had a substancial workout the first week of there life and they are holding up just fine.

The Steel Saw 5 has given my Miller Spectrum 375 a break and has drastically increased my productivity.
    Every question in life has an answer of

YES OR NO

Maybe = NO

Keep life simple and enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
    what these saws are intended and designed for - Rough in Steel work. If you want exact striaight lines with precise angles then get (like others previous mentioned) a coolant cooled band saw or a Bridgeport.

I have been building custom trailers and work surfaces for over 20 years and have personally had a Dewalt multicutter for over 6 years and it has never let me down. It has cut 2 in solid round bar stock without issue many times and does exactally what it is supposed to and quite well.

Last week I added to my tool box the Evolution Steel Saw 5 http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...n_evo230x.html

and also the Evolution Steel Saw 2
    http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...on_raptor.html

the both have had a substancial workout the first week of there life and they are holding up just fine.

The Steel Saw 5 has given my Miller Spectrum 375 a break and has drastically increased my productivity.
    That Evolution saw is BADA$$ isn"t it ABYSS ? I love mine and I think it cuts pretty darn straight personally.
    Jim
    Last edited by uhohjim; 11-11-2008 at 12:19 PM.
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Miller Elite welding helmet
    JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
    Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Some really cool hammers BIG and small

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by benny365 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting an Evolution Rage 2 cold saw... What do you all think

http://www.evolutiononlineshop.com/s...%202%20%20Saw/

250.00 at Airgas with a general purpase blade
    I too have been eyeballing the %^& out of the new Evo models.
    Need to find one that'll cut through my old lady's fat hairy arm, when she goes to grab a Snap-On wrench to pry the paint can lid off.
    I digress....
    Check and see if there is an authorized dealer or outfit locally that will let you
    or has a demo you can play with(maybe a large welding outfit?).
    That's how I got to paw one of the new ones so far.

One other thing on the Evo dry cut saws.............I looked at theses saws for quite a while at my steel supplier.There was a Morse steel cutting saw sitting on his shelf going for about 5 bones........looked exactly the same as the Evolution saw. Asked my supplier what the difference was? He said it was made by the same manufacturer only about a $125 price dif from the Evo to the morse.........for $125 more I'm not sure what I would have gotten with the Morse ,but I'm happy with what I have for sure.
    Jim
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Miller Elite welding helmet
    JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
    Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Some really cool hammers BIG and small

Default Evolution Saw

I have an Evolution Steel Saw 2 and it is great no problems whatsoever If all I were doing was cuttin steel I would not get the saw you are looking at I have since bought a Grizzly Cold Saw It works perfect it isnt as nice as the name brand ones but it doesnt cost $5000 either $995

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the Evo 230X and 230HDX? I get the impression 230HDX and Steelsaw 5 are newer designations, but is the actual saw design any newer/better? or more to the point, is it worth paying more for?

I have the Evolution Steel 2 Raptor and have had it about a year with no complaints. It cut fast and accurate with no heat. If your going from an abrazive cutoff to this your going to love it. I'm by no means a high production guy or anything just fabricate when ever I get the chance so I can't attest to it from a daily shop use but it's never let me down I highly recomend it.
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    MIller CP 300 w/S22-A Feeder
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Horizontal/ Verticle Bandsaw
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw
    Single Stage 60 Gallon Compressor