Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer ramp

Default Trailer ramp

Hi All. I purchased a used 5X10 open utility trailer the other day. It's built with all square tube. really nice. I want to put a ramp on it. The ramp will be 5' wide and about 4-5' long and will fold in the middle so it's not so high.. I will use the steel mesh on top. What material(ie tube, angle) and what guage should I use? I will be using it to load 500lb motorcycles and myself of course, so the total will be about 700 lbs. Thanks.

Default tail gate material

I use 1"x2"x11 ga. box tube for my tailgates, but most production trailer shops use 14 ga. if they use box tube. A lot of them (production shops) use angle but it bends to easy for my liking. When I know someone is loading bikes on the trailers, I reinforce the gate accordingly so you are not putting too much stress on the expanded metal. Also it's a good idea to use 3/4 9 raised expanded for the covering, it will help give you grip when riding up the ramp. Most of the production guys use 3/4 9 flat expanded and it is too slippery to ride up. I am posting some pictures so you can see what I mean about reinforcement for the bike. Hope this helps you some, Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default another idea for you

The owner of the trailer wanted some wheel chocks for his bikes on his trailer, but didn't want the bolt on ones because he still used it for other purposes as well. What I did for him was to make some folding wheel chocks so he could still use the trailer with out having to do any extra work taking the bolt on chocks off and on. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Nice trailers. Mine is similar to the blue one. I want to make the ramp fold in half. Do you think 1" tube would be strong enough?(I just happen to have some in stock). If not I have to get the expanded anyway and can pick up the 1X2. Thanks for the help.

Default strog enough

It might be ok if you were just walking on it, but I wouldn't want to load 700 lbs. of motorcycle on 1" tube. I like my bike way to much to chance it on 1". Dave

You convinced me! I will splurge for some 1X2. How long is the ramp on your blue trailer? I really want to have it fold down in half if I can figure it out. Thanks again.
    Last edited by mattf301; 07-04-2007 at 03:33 PM.

Default ramp gate

I make most of my gates 4' tall.
    If I was doing your project here's what I would do. I would make the 2 two foot tall sections and hinge them so that it fold together and use the same type of pins that are in your hinges to attach the sides when opened. Does that make any sense? probably not, but at least I know what I'm talking about.Dave

If you want I'll try to draw something up for you and send it in an e mail

That sounds good. If it's not too much trouble on the drawing, I would appreciate that.

Some great ideas Dabar, especially the folding wheel chocks. Mind if I "steel" that idea for my next trailer?

Just a couple of notes for convenience on ramp gates. I always build mine so that they can be taken off. I've seen a few that have permanent hinges. It's fine if you are only going to be loading wheeled items on it. Also, double check your gate to bed angle and the ground clearance of your bike(s) My cruiser sits pretty low and I have to jack the tongue up on one trailer I have before loading it. Otherwise it will bottom out on the back of the trailer when it goes over. SSS