Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel Target

Hah!
    If it's made in china and costs $40 I'd just as soon make my own...

I don't like sending ANY money over there! BOYCOTT CHINA!
    "If you build it, they will come!"

I had an Armalite .50 BMG for a few years, and I shot at more metal things than I can remember. I was using AP rounds and blowing nice holes in 1" steel plate. The most memorable target was a heavy steel strut landing gear off of an Air Tractor 502. That is some tough $#!7 !!!! Cause at 35 yards all it did was scratch the paint, and made the loudest DINGGGG!!!! I had ever heard.
    SYNCROWAVE 200
    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
    Makita Everything else
    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

I have made steel targets for 22 rifles when I was 18. I know for a fact that you shouldnt use full metal jacket bullets on mild steel or hardened steel. You can use mild steel for your applications about a 1/4" thick, and make sure you use non jacketed lead rounds. Also having the targets designed as front to back swinging targets, instead of being fixed in place. The swinging actions helps absorb the impact of the bullet, prolonging the life of your targets for years of use.

IPSC has used reactive targets for years. 3/8" or 1/2" mild steel plate will work fine. Safety issues: Keep at least 20 yards back from the steel, use hollow points or lead. Welding tempered steel shouldn't be a problem, it will loose some of its hardening though.

And for the record, I have seen 50 BMG rounds come back 500 yds after hitting a dirt berm.

John
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

Quote Originally Posted by projectwelder View Post
    And for the record, I have seen 50 BMG rounds come back 500 yds after hitting a dirt berm.

John

Yep, I seen that youtube video too!

I seen it at Ft. Mclellan, gotta love tracer rounds, easy to see, too late to duck.
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

you could make a swing target then its really unlikely that anything would come back to you

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    you could make a swing target then its really unlikely that anything would come back to you

Thats what I suggested in my first post.

my bad didn't read that

Default Target Almost Finished

I should be finishing my target this weekend. All that is left to do is attach the 2 1/4 discs to the swing arms and add a rope for the reset. I will be posting pics and possibly a video or the target in action.

Frank aka the Weekend Welder