Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reciver tubeing

Default Reciver tubeing

Hello Has anyone mad there own reciever tube for a trailer hitch? I want to make one for my ATV. However all the squre tubing I find has a weld on the inside, and wont let the 2 inch sq. tube slide in.

Most trailer places sell it or at least should be able to get it. If not try JC Whitney or TSC.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Cool

Most factory tubes are broached in the inside to remove the weld and some of the corner radi. As said there are some nice tubes at the local farm stores...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I have made a few of them, I always just used a long file to remove the weld, not as bad as it sounds. Also you can use a drill bit extension with a rotary file attached to the end.

You want square DOM tubing. It's Drawn Over a Mandrel and has no inside weld to deal with, plus its tolerances are better for the useful slip-fit design of receiver hitches. Most steel yards should stock the exact size required for receiver hitches, and some will even sell it by the foot. IIRC, It's 2-1/2" x 3/16" (or so) wall.

i saw in a magazine where a guy took a 48 inch piece of 2 inch square tubing and welded a piece of 1/4 inch plate on it then mounted his vise on the plate. he just sticks it in his reciever and has it long enough that he can still let the tail gate down.
    just something else you can do after you build that reciever.

www.trailerandtruckparts.com is one of many places that sell it. Do a search on the web for trailer receiver tube.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Cool Receiver hitch

You can buy seamless 2 1/2" tubing and 2" square will slide right in but you'll pay for that I get my receiver hitch stuff at E&H hitch shop.But any trailer place will sell you some but then they will ask you what's it for and then try and get you to let them do the job that's what I have found anyway.I never did ask a steel supplier I will next time though.

Default $13 solution

theres a place down here in south texas where I get all my steel and in the bumper/trailer section they sell tubes you can weld to anywhere plus it comes with a piece of 1/4" around it I think they buy them but the guy TOLD me 13 bucks 2 weeks ago I could check if neede be. they look like a factory job not side made real sharp.

Default Just as an aside

Received the below from Good Sam Club.

NHTSA Action Number: PE07025

Make/Models: Model/Build Years:
    Chevrolet/Avalanche 2500 2002
    Chevrolet/Silverado 2500 2002
    Chevrolet/Suburban 2500 2002
    GMC/Sierra 2500 2002
    GMC/Sierra 2500 HD 2002
    GMC/Yukon XL 2500 2002

Manufacturer: General Motors Corp.
    Component: Trailer Hitches

Summary:

ODI has received four consumer complaints alleging the factory installed (OEM) trailer hitch receiver failed. Two owner reports allege bending/deformation of the pin box area while towing. One owner report alleges welds failed around the pin box area and another report alleges complete weld failure of the pin box leading to a full separation of the trailer from the tow vehicle. In this last report, the trailer safety chain and emergency brakes were not activated as both safety features were still attached to the two openings in the pin box that broke off with the trailer. No crash or injury resulted as the vehicle and trailer were maneuvering in a storage lot. An investigation is being opened for further assessment and study of this issue.

For more information, owners may contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at (888) 327 4236 or visit www.safercar.gov.