Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So many choices: MIG, TIG, MUTI-Process?

A little info to go by before you here my problem:

I worked building street/strip cars for a East Coast Company about 4 years ago before enlisting into the Marines. In that I got 5 years of welding under my belt in MIG and TIG. I was welding everything from Stainless up to aluminum and mag once and awhile for slight repairs. I never had to worry about what i needed cause the shop had 4 mig millermatics and 3 syncrowaves that where probably a good 7+ years from the looks of them. They were awesome and worked great and now i feel it is time to buy something that can do almost what i was doing then. I plan on taking on some hot rod projects which will ocassionly get me welding at the most 1/4" steel for short period of time maybe 10 minutes at once before taking breaks. aluminum probably not more that 3/16" and that would be a rare case. so the average will be .125 walled tubing that will need both cosmetic tig welds and quick strong welds MIG style for frame mods. i want the ability to have both mig and tig at my fingertips but the projects are not going to be all that industrial (everyday). Its more for hobbies until i get a chance to do side jobs for some money. I want the ability to weld aluminum, chromemoly, and stainless. I am wondering if the Shopmate wpould be able to handle the weekend hobbyist that will get on a mission when it comes to race cars and street rods. My space is limited and are those multi-process machine worth it? I appreciate the help and I am trying to decide what I am going to get with my re-enlistment bonus after I get back from the sandbox. im looking to spend at most 5,000. Semper Fi

If it were my money, in a shop setting (non-portable) i would get an MM212 for MIG, and a DYN 200 for TIG. You get all the alluminum bells and whistles with the dyn + you can get a spool gun for the 212. If you want to keep it all compact and portable get the passport plus. You give up duty cycle and top end but i believe you can still do 1/4" steel. If your looking to save some bucks and can get by with an "old fashioned" Tig get the sync 200 and save over a grand.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Multiprocess has its place, but even with limited space, I'd be trying every option to have two separate machines. You can even put a really nice TIG/Stick machine on the top of a MM252 for your budget.

Having had a multi-process machine for many years I vote for process specific machines. The multi-process did an OK job no most everything I used it for but not as good a job as the machines that are specifically designed for each process. I now have an MM251 and a Dynasty 300 and have the best of both worlds. As far as room I don't think the two machines take up any more shop space than my multi-process with the large power source. Mike.

I have many machines and most multi process machines will suffer on the top end on aluminum if they offer AC at all. I agree with the others a solid millermatic 212 and a dynasty 200DX will set you up nicely. However it will be limited on the materials up to 1/4" or so. I have done that kind of work with mine and it well and when pushed really hard with preheat and running helium I did significantly heavier, but I do not recommend that as a steady diet or the machine will have serious issues.

Peace,
    Paul

Lincoln MP350, one stop shop.

I have several multi process and aeveral limited process setups.

One unit is a Thermal Arc 400gtsm? any way it's a mig tig stick with no AC and no hi freq. I use it remote where power is available, for stick and FCAW (LN 25)

For shop use I often find my self using both my Passport and my Dynasty on the same job. doing quick tacking with the Passport and final welding with the Dynasty.

Or when I get two guys cutting and fitting for me I can have one doing steel and one working aluminum and I am not constantly resetting the ONE machine.

Having a machine all setup ready to go just flip the switch and twist the cylinder and weld (MM210) is great for the quick in and out job.

Never fails the multi is always set up for the wrong process.

My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Lincoln MP350, one stop shop.
    No AC output?

All of the AC/DC machines I have used just suck on AC. Get a D200DX and a 212 and caller done.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    No AC output?
    True, but who cares as you have full pulse capabilities to run a spoolgun (I install the Millers as the Prince is junk) down in the power modes to the lightest gage Aluminum or stainless you can think of.

Really don't need to tig, but you can run Stainless tig if you desire.