Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Makin grill from butane tank

Well here goes my first attempt,hope I can,I see them everywere how do they cook?any advice? Post some pics of yours pleeze!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HOTROD; 09-20-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Add on

Best advice, mike sure that tank has been cleaned of any Butane, usually caustic dipped, prior to doing any cutting or welding on the tank. I know most people know this, but I would feel bad if something bad happened and I didn;t say anything.

That said, tanks makes pretty good barbeques. Depending on how advanced a cooker you are, you could look to putting a box on the side to hold the coals to make for indirect heating. If you are going direct only, look for a way to increase or decrease the heat by raising or lowering the coals. Also, vents to let in air and vents to let out exhaust
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

Default tanks

Either fill it with water or purge with Nitrogen gas prior to cutting into the tank. It does not take much butane/propane to give you very bad day!
    Artist Blacksmith
    Historic Downtown
    Paris, Texas
    Dynasty 200dx
    Trailblazer 302
    12VS wire feeder
    Lincoln 215
    Miller Passport
    Miller 375 plasma
    Hossfeld bender
    Antique SA200

I've got an old tank hiding behind my shed awaiting it's fate as a smoker, just gotta find the time to giterdone. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was nervous about cutting it. my plan is to fill it with water.

If you are making it a smoker, consider making it a reverse flow smoker. My understanding is that they heat much more evenly. For the doors, I've read to cut them out about 90%, tack the hinge on, then cut the last bit of it. You get the door perfectly aligned that way.
    Millermatic 180 Auto Set

There shouldn't be a problem if you fill it with water. That's a good tip about the hinges.
    Jim

Yeah, purging before flame cutting,pretty important. Or else,"But where is the earth shattering kaboom". -Marvin the Martian/Looney Tunes

Im buiding it for myself just a learning experience should be making money much as I have racked my brain Thanks JIM-TX
    Last edited by HOTROD; 09-30-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: forgot to say thanks

When we build a pit, the top and bottom of the doors get cut first, tack the hinges, cut each end, ck for no binding, finish hinge weld. I generally add 1"x1/8" around the doors.
    Here is a pit SIL and his bud built (w/my supervision) from a discarded propane tank, fire box is 2'x2'x".
    Have fun
    L*S

Thats what I had in mind when I started my build,I hope it looks half as nice as yours LEON2003

Here is some pictures of one I built and sold. It is an old propane tank 30" diameter has 2 meat racks and has a single 4' door with counterbalance. The firebox is 2'x2'. Unfortunately I did'nt get any of it finshed. I hope this gives you some ideas.