Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Interesting. I hate going into Phoenix too, and try to keep my work in the New River-Cave Creek area, but more and more am forced into driving south. Pm me next time your working down here, maybe I can meet up with you.

I'll do just that.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

the ability to bid jobs correctly will determine whether or not a business is successful, probably even more so than how good of a weldor/fabricator you are. there are a million ways to bid jobs and 999500 of them are wrong, but that still leaves 500 ways to do it correctly. so don't expect any kind of consensus on how to price labor/jobs on an internet board.
    miller dynasty 350
    miller spectrum 1000

Well just an update, I came in high and didn't get it, so it was a learning experience for next time. Thanks to everybody that gave input into the matter though, it was all appreciated.
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    MIller CP 300 w/S22-A Feeder
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Horizontal/ Verticle Bandsaw
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw
    Single Stage 60 Gallon Compressor
    Delta Drill Press

"No fear to learn by doing", and a degree in Redneck Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by SinGear View Post
    Well just an update, I came in high and didn't get it, so it was a learning experience for next time. Thanks to everybody that gave input into the matter though, it was all appreciated.
    Since you are in with them did they tell you what the other bid was?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Since you are in with them did they tell you what the other bid was?
    This was actually a bid for my buddy at another cabinet shop. He baulked at the price when I gave it to him, but I had reviewed trimmed and adjusted it 4 times before I gave it to him, and I felt confident that's what it would have taken to do it. I'm thinking I might of put to much time into it, but then again didn't want to slit my throat. I think he said I missed it by 500 on a $2800 overall bid, (I did not include the powder coating, he was handling that).

So like I said it was a good learning experience.
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw
    Delta Drill Press

Oh and I also priced it out in DOM tube because of the slip joint, so that kicked the price up as well.
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw
    Delta Drill Press

Heck I wouldn't sweat that....they may lose money before it's all said and done.
    I miss bids all the time...sometimes I bid extra high and hope I don't get the job!!! But I always make sure I make a good wage for my efforts.
    It keeps up my local reputation for being at the top of the food chain
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

I don't get much more than 15-18% of the work I bid.

I have been to two conferences on bidding work and both have said if you are getting 20%+ of the work bid then you are leaving too much money on the table. If less than 10% then you are too high.

Quote Originally Posted by FATFAB View Post
    I don't get much more than 15-18% of the work I bid.

I have been to two conferences on bidding work and both have said if you are getting 20%+ of the work bid then you are leaving too much money on the table. If less than 10% then you are too high.

I wouldn't have too much problem with those figures except I think that it would depend on too many things... like how much competition you had and the population and what niche you work in. I prolly get more like 1/2 of what I bid.
    I get $100 an hr but if I'm pretty sure (and you can tell) I'm gonna miss it, I'll throw down a cap on the total and tell them I'll work it in with my better paying jobs. This way i get to do the more cool jobs and it makes them feel like they got a deal plus it keeps me in wally world.
    I prefer to keep it casual...one of the main reasons I hate bosses
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    I wouldn't have too much problem with those figures except I think that it would depend on too many things... like how much competition you had and the population and what niche you work in. I prolly get more like 1/2 of what I bid.
    I get $100 an hr but if I'm pretty sure (and you can tell) I'm gonna miss it, I'll throw down a cap on the total and tell them I'll work it in with my better paying jobs. This way i get to do the more cool jobs and it makes them feel like they got a deal plus it keeps me in wally world.
    I prefer to keep it casual...one of the main reasons I hate bosses
    Yes the numbers for quote ratio was for a metropolitan area with "X" number of contractors per "X" number of population. It would change to a higher ratio the less dense the population but the hourly rate should drop as well.