Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Ok, how about this, figure out how long you think its going to take, double that and add 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Ok, how about this, figure out how long you think its going to take, double that and add 30%.

Ok, so what if a guy has been plotting and planning to start his own little bizness for several years now, and he's been paying attention, taking notes, and knows how long the job will actually take.
    Will that formula work for that dude???

JTMcC
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

I give good luck

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Ok, so what if a guy has been plotting and planning to start his own little bizness for several years now, and he's been paying attention, taking notes, and knows how long the job will actually take.
    Will that formula work for that dude???

JTMcC
    Sure it will.

... since we do not have a figure for Hourly/Day rate - as the Op inquired about, "Is there a going rate for labor...", the formula is rather useless.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thumbs up nfinch86-CANADIAN WELDOR :

SinGear: Thanks, For someone JUST STARTING you got yourself some Gear. As I said ; GO FOR IT MAN !! Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Sure it will.

... since we do not have a figure for Hourly/Day rate - as the Op inquired about, "Is there a going rate for labor...", the formula is rather useless.

Thanks for your support.

That "going rate" thing is pretty important because the locals who've been in business for years know what it takes to survive long term in that marketplace.

I've been in business since 1992 and i've watched (literally) over a hundred start ups come and go in my little rural area. 99% of then charged too little. None of them charged too much.

You can undercut the local market and pick up "junk" work for a short period, but any company that has serious money to spend on outside welders knows that a real company, doing real work with real welders has to charge a certain rate. And they'll throw out low ball offers. If your rates aren't real world, companies won't take you serious.

If I can't make a good living, have good health insurance with dental & eye care, and stash away enough to live comfortably in retirement, then I'm not interested. And I started out completely legit, with a whopping investment of $1800 dollars (1992 dollars, made with a stinger in my hand) and two small children. I was the sole income for my family. If you can't pull the pin then you don't have any business in business.

It can be a very harsh world and these guys that operate "part time" welding outfits so they can post as experts on the internet don't have a clue what it takes to provide every $$$$ of income for a family with a stinger in your hand, thay are in my opinion phoneys. Fortunes are made and lost every day in this business, but not by people with a "day job".

Anyway, that's my take Mr. Broccoli

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

After reading JT's post over a couple of times, he pretty much covered it all...
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Niice somehow I'm thinking that equation might not work out so well for me. But hey I could always give it a shot
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    MIller CP 300 w/S22-A Feeder
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Horizontal/ Verticle Bandsaw
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw
    Single Stage 60 Gallon Compressor
    Delta Drill Press

"No fear to learn by doing", and a degree in Redneck Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by FATFAB View Post
    I give good luck
    And I wish you all the sucess in the world, no worries on your clients I don't do out of town work.
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw
    Delta Drill Press

"No fear to learn by doing", and a degree in Redneck Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    SinGear: Thanks, For someone JUST STARTING you got yourself some Gear. As I said ; GO FOR IT MAN !! Norm :
    Thanks Norm, the equipment is really any and all profit I have made on every job I've done, I pay the material and consumable bills a little to the wife to make her happy and then tools, more tools, anything that might make it just a little bit easier the next time, I never do a job without buying at least one tool
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw