Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I thought we had already come to the conclusion that the best way to go about this was to have other shops bid it and then just use their numbers.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Quote Originally Posted by FATFAB View Post
    No all I am saying is right is right. If you dont play by the rules then why should anyone?

I'll bet you are the first one to rile against the cheats that started the mortgage bust. Or the Enron (sp) pension theft.

Its ok to steal as long as you have a good enough excuse great lesson for them kids you are feeding.

This is one of them black and white issues, you know I am right and you know you are wrong.

Once he plays by the same rules I'll be first in line to help competition is good for business, the consumer and in general the economy. Till then no way, he is stealing work from some one who is trying to do it right.

Stealing is steeling and the only thing he is steeling is your customers how is it any different if he is license bnded and insured he is still doing the same thing and who are you to decide its right or rong jow he does it.

And as for if you don't play by the rules why should anyone. no one is making you you chose to and I would bet since no one is perfect that is you got enought business profetionals and lawers to look at how you do busness that you are pronbably doing some little thng not exactly by the book.

If your willing to help him if he does it right then help him get to the point where it is worth it for him. **** why don't you offer to pay for his license and everything so he can start off like you.

If his customers don't care why should you. If he doesn't steal your business someone else will. And if you talk to you customers this way because you don't like there business practices then I would be amazed if you ever have a repeat customer.

Who are you to judge.
    Hobart Mega Arc 5040DD (with built in air compressor)
    MM Passport Plus with Q-gun
    O/A

sold MM 251

There are only 2 tools needed in a tool box. 1) Duct tape to fix any thing that moves that isn't supposed to. 2) WD40 to fix anything that doesn't move but should.

Thumbs up nfinch86-CANADIAN WELDOR :

TO EACH HIS OWN! Survival Of The Fittest. Go For It Man!!

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Nice web-site Norm
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thanks ED: I've been IronWorking & Welding since " 1967 " , Started on my own 3 yrs. ago. It's the the Best Desision I've EVER MADE ! YOU Have a Great Web Site as well. Thanks Again, Norm:

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .

BYE THE WAY, That Old LINCOLN on my truck has been around Almost as Long as me , I Checked the serial #'s Built in 1968 it starts First Time Every Time with Old Rope Pull Start !! Norm:

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FATFAB View Post
    Underbid all you want, just play on the same field as the people you are competing with. If the people you are taking work from are not licensed bonded and insured then more power to you.

Clearly that is not the case, or you would have humbled your self.

I did start out day one with a bond liability insurance, work comp insurance, followed two weeks later with the two licenses I need. Total spent $1900.00.

Bye.
    Ok I did some research, just to be clear, as you can see I'm in AZ. Do you happen to know what I need to be legit in AZ? Well I do so I'll let you know. Nothing, if I bill out more than 10k a year which I haven't as of yet, I need a bussiness license and that's only for tax reasons. As far as the bonding, (which is basically and additional guarentee that I stand by my work) no I don't have that, but if there is ever a problem or an issue with my work, my word is my bond and always has been. So if there was an issue and I had to eat a job for whatever reason, guess what, I don't need a piece of paper that forces me to stand by my word, I just do, that's how I was raised.

My father is a painting contractor, a liscenes and bonded contractrator at that and a small bussiness owner. He is bonded because most of his projects require it. If the customers I did work for required it of me then it is something I would do, but as of now they don't so I will continue to keep my overhead as low as I can.

To address you undercutting claim, I bid a job for materials and how long it's gonna take me, there was a time when I referenced competitiors bids to give me and idea, by the way thats called staying competitive. If your always high your not gonna get the work, same thing if you lose your a$$ every job you'd probably rethink how you bid things.

So as far as your black and white issue as it pretains to local laws I know I'm right, and you may be right in your neck of the woods but if your gonna roast somebody do the research first.
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    MIller CP 300 w/S22-A Feeder
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Horizontal/ Verticle Bandsaw
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw
    Single Stage 60 Gallon Compressor
    Delta Drill Press

"No fear to learn by doing", and a degree in Redneck Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by jallcorn View Post
    Sometimes I charge by the hour, that is pretty simple, hours * rate plus materials plus a markup of about 25 to 50 percent on materials.

So, I "ball-park" it based on how long I think it will take. I look at how much I'll gross minus materials and make a decision to bid the job or not. If I get the job, I do the absolutely best job possible... design, construction, finish. If I think it will take 250 hours and it takes 400. Tough on my part.

I don't want all the business, I couldn't do it all anyway. I have no competition other than the big companies that farm their work out to Mexico. My work is my signature and my customers are always satisfied.
    Agreed I don't think there's a guy (or girl) out there that hasn't drop the ball and lost their *** on a job at some point. Things happen. Thanks for the contructive advice
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw
    Delta Drill Press

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Do you need to be bonded and insured by law?
    Nope, not here anyway can't really speak for other parts of the country though
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw
    Delta Drill Press

Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Thanks Norm, and Ed's right real nice site ya got.
    MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
    Miller Syncro 200
    Miller 375 X Plasma
    Miller Elite Hood
    JD2 Bender
    Tube Notcher
    Makita Angle Grinders
    Arsenal of handtools
    Evolution Raptor dry saw