Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tubing Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Grumple View Post
    jallcorn,
    I already have a Compact Bender but that won't do it. Is the Hossfeld actually able to do full circles or 1/2 circles in a 12" diameter? I guess if they have a die that big but that would be a pricey die.
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Grumple,
    Save your money for a good ring roller. I have a Hossfled bender and while it works great for many different operations the price of a 12" die set, if it is even available, would probably be more than a good ring roller. Tubing isn't a Hossfeld's forte. It will get the job done, but not with the ease and accuracy of other benders on the market. The reason...it is a universal bender that needs to encompass a wide range of operations. A Hossfeld bender makes sense if you have a wide range of fabrications you need done, but for simple rolling get a ring roller.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumple View Post
    Ed,
    Thanks for the link. I guess that would would great with flat stock but thick steel tubing might not be so springy. But its a good trick for the book.
    Grumple
    How thick are ya talking? If it gets too heavy ya may not have enough Muscle power.

I used this to make the wheel on my Flat Stock roller.

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

One piece- as it comes around to it's final shape you have to nudge the ends Side by Side.

With Flat stock you have to go over under like Chris showed.

You can try the 12" Ring in one shot- if it doesn't work then you can always just roll the 2 halves. Larger Dia rings should be no problem. At the school they said I couldn't roll the wheel in one shot- they just didn't realize that ya just make the ends pass each other.

One thing for sure is go slowly- any slight screw up because ya applied too much pressure on one pass will make things quite frustrating because it can not be Unrolled.

I did 3- first one perfect, 2nd one got cocky and fubared it, 3rd one all good.

To make rings you need a Roller.

The Hossfeld is an all purpose bender- don't know it it has the ability to be used as a Roller.

Roy?
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Eddie,
    Hossfeld roller??? Nope. Bender? Yep.

Sometimes it just pays to go out and see what you can find in your scrap pile. If I was having to do a slug of 12" diameter, or was it radius...whatever, bends I would either turn out a 12" die and bending foot on the lathe and bolt/weld them down to the shop welding table and armstrong walk the bending shoe around the square stock and die if there weren't that many to do OR build a roller and take the easy way out. As Ed said, you would have to go easy and probably fubar a few before you got the hang of it. A die set-up would give you greater repeatability at the expense of being a one function/size tool as opposed to the multi-function/size range for the ring roller.

What the heck, this is a fabrication forum...do you really need to buy the tools when the scrap stock is laying around. What the heck, a ring roller is nothing more than three rollers, bearings, bit of shafting, drive for the powered roller(s), frame and either a jack or a feedscrew to adjust pressure for the bend.

http://bullfire.net/WP_Roll_Bender.html

http://www.bbssystem.com//files/barn...roller_745.pdf
    Last edited by WyoRoy; 09-21-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Lots of dust bunnies

True Roy- but the Dies are the biggest hurdle for the average Joe w/o a Lathe.

I know BUY a Lathe

Repeatability is not a problem- it is just a slower process: Apply a little pressure, Roll, apply a little pressure, Roll back- repeat until ya get the Ring.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Eddie,
    That why I tossed in those two links for ring rollers. Average guy should be able to crank one out with his shop drill press, band saw and welder. It doesn't have to look pretty...just get the job done. Even a simple ring roller set-up should get the work finished better/faster than my Hossfeld.

BTW, is my recommendation for the Screamin' Broc tool room/machinist mecca w/beer and welding area up at your place of business ever gonna pay dividends?
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Lots of dust bunnies

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    Grumple,
    Save your money for a good ring roller. I have a Hossfled bender and while it works great for many different operations the price of a 12" die set, if it is even available, would probably be more than a good ring roller. Tubing isn't a Hossfeld's forte. It will get the job done, but not with the ease and accuracy of other benders on the market. The reason...it is a universal bender that needs to encompass a wide range of operations. A Hossfeld bender makes sense if you have a wide range of fabrications you need done, but for simple rolling get a ring roller.
    WyoRoy,
    What do you consider a good ring roller?
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks
    Miller Swinger AC 180 (SOLD)
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX Runner with Pulser

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    How thick are ya talking? If it gets too heavy ya may not have enough Muscle power.

I used this to make the wheel on my Flat Stock roller.

Ed,
    Now thats a nice ring roller and I'll bet out of my reach. Do you own that machine? I have looked at some of those pro models and while nice, I can't justify the cost right now although I would love to have one.
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    Eddie,
    Hossfeld roller??? Nope. Bender? Yep.

Sometimes it just pays to go out and see what you can find in your scrap pile. If I was having to do a slug of 12" diameter, or was it radius...whatever, bends I would either turn out a 12" die and bending foot on the lathe and bolt/weld them down to the shop welding table and armstrong walk the bending shoe around the square stock and die if there weren't that many to do OR build a roller and take the easy way out. As Ed said, you would have to go easy and probably fubar a few before you got the hang of it. A die set-up would give you greater repeatability at the expense of being a one function/size tool as opposed to the multi-function/size range for the ring roller.

What the heck, this is a fabrication forum...do you really need to buy the tools when the scrap stock is laying around. What the heck, a ring roller is nothing more than three rollers, bearings, bit of shafting, drive for the powered roller(s), frame and either a jack or a feedscrew to adjust pressure for the bend.

http://bullfire.net/WP_Roll_Bender.html

http://www.bbssystem.com//files/barn...roller_745.pdf
    Thanks for those links...a plan is sometimes all that is needed.
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    True Roy- but the Dies are the biggest hurdle for the average Joe w/o a Lathe.

I know BUY a Lathe

Repeatability is not a problem- it is just a slower process: Apply a little pressure, Roll, apply a little pressure, Roll back- repeat until ya get the Ring.
    Ed,
    I just bought a lathe Delivered on Thursday but its not wired or even completely assembled yet and needs leveling and break in. So maybe I will just build me a ring roller. Looks like a fun project.
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks