Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tubing Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Jim-Grumple

You should be able to make 360- you have to push the ends side by side instead of Over/Under like with Flat stock.

I did it this way for the Wheel on my roller, using a Powered Roller I had access to and you still had to roll the "Ring" with incremental pressure applied with each roll.

This was a 26" Diameter wheel I imagine the smaller rings would be a beech to nudge the ends.

Check here for what size Rings the roller will make

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...9999/99736.pdf
    Ed,
    Thanks for the link to the pdf manual. It looks like the machine will bend a 5" radius with 1" steel tube so it may just work for me as I was thinking more like 12" and larger.
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks
    Miller Swinger AC 180 (SOLD)
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX Runner with Pulser

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    Ed, I was just making the statement that if you needed consistency, and speed, and didn't need more than a 180 bend, that I think a draw type bender would provide better results as long as the diameter permitted using such a machine to form the bends.

I'm aware these rollers will do 360's, but making consistent bends with small radii in any kind of production volume is going to take a lot of user involvement over the other option.

This is also a situation where Chris' forming "halves" method might have some merit over doing a single hoop (depending on intended diameter). The time and expense of the second weld bead might easily be made up in the lack of time to form the ring (especially if it's a small diameter).
    Jim,
    I must have missed Chris's forming halves method. Is it in another link or do I need to clean my glasses? That would work for me too as long as I could make 2 halves in 1" steel tubing that were identical with a 12" radius.
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

Ah, but I was suggesting he buy something else if he wanted either of those attributes.

I wouldn't use the two to define a HF tool unless I was referring to how it would break.

Have you looked inside their powder coating ovens? Mmmm

So it was only a failure to properly connect the terminal with undersized wire, but I'm not sure that wire is rated for the 13A load it's designed to carry.

I don't intend to keep this thing long enough to melt it again.
    If its within 30 days just take it back. I have done that when the machine doesn't live up to the specs. In your case that is a fire hazard. How gig is that pc oven anyhow, I just use a second hand oven.
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by uhohjim View Post
    Grumple,, The hf roller most likely won't do the tubing sizes you want I have bent up to 3/4 inch square with it and got decent results but the tube starts to want to fold in on itself.....Round tube ive bent at one inch od , but talk about a struggle and hard to keep consistent.....and it also oblongs the tube on the bend radius..........so it won't be round tube when you're done.
    I've seen benders sold by Eastwood that had dies made for bending round tube that I have heard work awesome...about a $1000 for them though.....
    If youre gonna bend small square I'd get the HF ,,3/4 inch or under the Hf would probably be ok........OTHERWISE I'm thinking your gonna need something with a a little more MARBLES. My 2 cents worth JIm
    Jim,
    So you own the roller in the link I posted? If it will do a 12" radius full circle in 1" steel tubing I would be happy. I have seen the Eastwoods but I don't know if I need one that bad at least not for now.
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

Default benders

You might look on Craigslist for a used Hossfeld bender. They do all sorts of stuff and are much heavier duty than the Horrible Freight version, and they have lots of dies and can be equipped with a hydraulic cylinder instead of the hand lever.
    Artist Blacksmith
    Historic Downtown
    Paris, Texas
    Dynasty 200dx
    Trailblazer 302
    12VS wire feeder
    Lincoln 215
    Miller Passport
    Miller 375 plasma
    Hossfeld bender
    Antique SA200

Grumple-

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=13800

This is the thread Fishy is talking about
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Grumple, that oven came from someones estate and cost me $50 (they're 300 on sale new). It arrived in that condition. I wasn't able to test it when I bought it, but figured it was worth the risk. I'm also pretty sure the oven didn't kill `em (it was an open circuit, not shorted to the case), but I can't say it wasn't another cheap tool as that's all the guy had.

This one is 18x18x17" inside and about 2' square and a little taller.

I'll be building a larger oven down the road, this was just a stop-gap measure for the time being. I have some customers who've known I had the powder gun for a while, but didn't have an oven who've been nagging me to get the stuff running. So this is basically just a quick way to make some extra cash before I'm able to build my oven of appropriate capacity for my stuff.

I actually wish this thing was 240v, because it would consume less current. But I suppose they don't want to limit their market to people capable of wiring new service for feeding it.

I almost had a used double oven from a new neighbor down the street, but they hauled it to recycling before I could go fetch it and I guess they didn't think I was serious about taking it, because they could've hauled it here and saved about 20 miles of driving. Oh well, I have enough unfinished projects as it is.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by jallcorn View Post
    You might look on Craigslist for a used Hossfeld bender. They do all sorts of stuff and are much heavier duty than the Horrible Freight version, and they have lots of dies and can be equipped with a hydraulic cylinder instead of the hand lever.
    jallcorn,
    I already have a Compact Bender but that won't do it. Is the Hossfeld actually able to do full circles or 1/2 circles in a 12" diameter? I guess if they have a die that big but that would be a pricey die.
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Grumple-

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=13800

This is the thread Fishy is talking about
    Ed,
    Thanks for the link. I guess that would would great with flat stock but thick steel tubing might not be so springy. But its a good trick for the book.
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

Grumple, that oven came from someones estate and cost me $50 (they're 300 on sale new). It arrived in that condition. I wasn't able to test it when I bought it, but figured it was worth the risk. I'm also pretty sure the oven didn't kill `em (it was an open circuit, not shorted to the case), but I can't say it wasn't another cheap tool as that's all the guy had.

This one is 18x18x17" inside and about 2' square and a little taller.

I'll be building a larger oven down the road, this was just a stop-gap measure for the time being. I have some customers who've known I had the powder gun for a while, but didn't have an oven who've been nagging me to get the stuff running. So this is basically just a quick way to make some extra cash before I'm able to build my oven of appropriate capacity for my stuff.

I actually wish this thing was 240v, because it would consume less current. But I suppose they don't want to limit their market to people capable of wiring new service for feeding it.

I almost had a used double oven from a new neighbor down the street, but they hauled it to recycling before I could go fetch it and I guess they didn't think I was serious about taking it, because they could've hauled it here and saved about 20 miles of driving. Oh well, I have enough unfinished projects as it is.
    Jim,
    I too am going to build an oven but just deciding on the size is killing me. If you build it there is always going to be some after thought on how I should have made it taller/wider/longer. I was going to try to come up with a modular design where I could add a second oven to the first of identical size that had its own heating unit and controller but its still on the drawing board...
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks