Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tubing Roller

Hybrid View

Default Tubing Roller

I am looking to buy a tubing roller for round and/or square tubing maybe up to 1-1/4 or 1-1/2" capacity. I have seen these 3 wheeled tubing rollers and that is most likely what I will buy but I have a few questions. Are those cheap one junk or do they do the job like the high dollar ones? For example I found this one:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99736

And it looks like about what I need. Anybody have one of these? My next question is what is the smallest full circle diameter one could expect to make with this and finally, can these easily make repetitive items once you set it or is the pressure wheel have to be gradually tightened each time?
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks
    Miller Swinger AC 180 (SOLD)
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX Runner with Pulser

They won't do repetitive bends without starting from the beginning after each part.

Also, when you make progressive steps, the increments need to be close to identical between parts in order to hit the same diameter with the same setting if you use a mark on the travel indication for repetition. Any difference in springback or roll diameter is going to show up cumulatively. You can avoid that by simply measuring each ring as you roll them and use whatever tension is needed to hit your diameter or angle.

I don't have any experience with that particular roller, but would suggest the draw type benders if you want consistency and don't need more than 180 degree bends.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Jim,
    Thanks for the info. I was actually hoping for 360 degree bends as in full circle. That is why the ring or tubing roller style. But thats what I was thinking on the repetitive bends so thats cleared up now. I guess if I can make them close enough is good enough.
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

I used to work at a shop that rolled 1" square tubing on a regular basis (for round bale feeders). A 24' length made the exact size ring that we were looking for, the boss built a hydraulically driven bender that rolled the tube in one shot. He had to put a few small tack welds on one of the dies to help suck the tube in at the start, so it left small dimples on the inside which in that case wasn't a big deal.

You'd be amazed at the difference between bundles of tubing. You could have it set perfect for one bundle and the next tube you roll from a fresh bundle will give you two circles of tube! It's also a good idea to keep the seam on the inside of the bend (if I remember correctly).

I hope my rambling has helped you!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Jim-Grumple

You should be able to make 360- you have to push the ends side by side instead of Over/Under like with Flat stock.

I did it this way for the Wheel on my roller, using a Powered Roller I had access to and you still had to roll the "Ring" with incremental pressure applied with each roll.

This was a 26" Diameter wheel I imagine the smaller rings would be a beech to nudge the ends.

Check here for what size Rings the roller will make

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...9999/99736.pdf
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Ed, I was just making the statement that if you needed consistency, and speed, and didn't need more than a 180 bend, that I think a draw type bender would provide better results as long as the diameter permitted using such a machine to form the bends.

I'm aware these rollers will do 360's, but making consistent bends with small radii in any kind of production volume is going to take a lot of user involvement over the other option.

This is also a situation where Chris' forming "halves" method might have some merit over doing a single hoop (depending on intended diameter). The time and expense of the second weld bead might easily be made up in the lack of time to form the ring (especially if it's a small diameter).
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Jim-Grumple

You should be able to make 360- you have to push the ends side by side instead of Over/Under like with Flat stock.

I did it this way for the Wheel on my roller, using a Powered Roller I had access to and you still had to roll the "Ring" with incremental pressure applied with each roll.

This was a 26" Diameter wheel I imagine the smaller rings would be a beech to nudge the ends.

Check here for what size Rings the roller will make

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...9999/99736.pdf
    Ed,
    Thanks for the link to the pdf manual. It looks like the machine will bend a 5" radius with 1" steel tube so it may just work for me as I was thinking more like 12" and larger.
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by c wagner View Post
    I used to work at a shop that rolled 1" square tubing on a regular basis (for round bale feeders). A 24' length made the exact size ring that we were looking for, the boss built a hydraulically driven bender that rolled the tube in one shot. He had to put a few small tack welds on one of the dies to help suck the tube in at the start, so it left small dimples on the inside which in that case wasn't a big deal.

You'd be amazed at the difference between bundles of tubing. You could have it set perfect for one bundle and the next tube you roll from a fresh bundle will give you two circles of tube! It's also a good idea to keep the seam on the inside of the bend (if I remember correctly).

I hope my rambling has helped you!
    Thanks for the info. Its all good. I was wanting to roll smaller diameter tubing like 1" maybe down to 14-15" circle. I guess maybe the cheapo manual ones would be a chore to do this and I am not ready to spend big bucks on one so I may need to rethink this operation before I spend $$ on something that won't even work.
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks