Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Crankshaft Fab table

Wanted to pass along an idea I cooked up. I bought a junked 302 motor to build a conference table out of and came upon a slew of parts to recycle. As I stared at the parts, I thought about making them more shop useful instead of recycling in normal scrap yard terms.

I grabbed what I could for a balanced weight at the bottom and added the crankshaft as my main section. It had a great natural balance and I added a 10 inch section of pipe to the top of the crank for a custom fit to my height. Welding the 1/8" thick pipe was quite tricky to the cast crankshaft but it worked out great. I also added some support underneath through 1" solid steel tubing to support the 1/2" plate at the top.

The mini fab table can hold a great deal of weight and is easy to navigate around. My intentions for it were to work on motorcycle frames, possible grind stand or to place a shotbag on and pound out sheet metal. Quite happy with it overall and will be building another one soon.

also used 2 carpet samples at the base to muffle any banging, wabbling or scraping on the concrete floor.

Last edited by Rusty Knuckles; 09-24-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: checking the images

Sounds cool, but your pictures aren't working

can't wait to check it out.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Default Table images

hopefully this works. First post, so I am trying to figure out how to post the images correctly

Default Ok, all else failed try this:

Looks good, are those some auto tranny parts on the base as well? Looks like part of the fluid pump, but maybe that's just the pics as i didn't see a mention of it in your first post.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

I was digging around and grabbed the harmonic balancer and the fly wheel. Added some more scrap steel under the base as well.

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Like the Ducati Painting- are you an Illustrator by trade?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I guess I could call myself an illustrator by trade. I work in many facets of design/marketing/communications and just seem to have had a pencil stuck to my hand since birth.

here is my day to day business site:
    http://ralfinoe.com/

design work pays the bills so I can build bikes on the side.

thanks for posting the images as well, I appreciate it!