Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jib Crane

AISI worked for a long time trying to unify steel standards thoughout North America, and that culminated in the 2001 "North American Specification for the Design of Cold-Formed Steel Structural Members" which was adopted by Canada and Mexico.

So that standard is used thoughout North America.

As far as structural steel is concerned, check this out:

http://www.cisc-icca.ca/files/techni...icalsteels.pdf

Beam dimensions are given in metric (depth in mm, unit weight in kg/m) but are actually the same size as American standard beams - see http://www.cisc-icca.ca/files/techni...vail9W2006.pdf

As far as material grades, in Canada, the predominant specification is CAN/CSA G40.21 350W, 350 being 350MPa yield strength. This specification is very similar to ASTM A992 and A572 gr50 and, according to CISC, steel rolled to these specifications can generally be substituted when the Canadian standard is specified. As far as standardization across the border, let me quote CISC:

"The trend to make ASTM A992 the basic steel grade for rolled shapes in North America is currently underway. "

see http://www.cisc-icca.ca/resources/fa...grades_shapes/

Again, hope this information helps.
    Last edited by Bodybagger; 09-23-2008 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Added web links and info on CAN/CSA vs. ASTM

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

It's great that you are built a new jib crane. I want to say that jib crane is a very useful equipment which help you so many time. But you should take advice a experienced person who has experience about jib crane.
    Thanks for this nice sharing.

Here's one i built this year. I had a mech. eng. give me some suggestions at first. I went with 3" sch. 40 pipe for the riser. I used 2" square tubing for the arm (hind site I should have used heavier tubing). I sunk 4" sch 40 pipe 3' in the ground as the sleeve. When I put it to work the first time I had about 5" of deflection. A friend of mine's kid just graduated from engineering school. He suggested 1/4 X 2" bar stock welded to back of pipe and top of tubing, as a stiffiner. I now have 3/4" deflection. I lift my Trailblazer 301g up, back up my truck and drop it in. It works like a champ.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pumahvac View Post
    Here's one i built this year. I had a mech. eng. give me some suggestions at first. I went with 3" sch. 40 pipe for the riser. I used 2" square tubing for the arm (hind site I should have used heavier tubing). I sunk 4" sch 40 pipe 3' in the ground as the sleeve. When I put it to work the first time I had about 5" of deflection. A friend of mine's kid just graduated from engineering school. He suggested 1/4 X 2" bar stock welded to back of pipe and top of tubing, as a stiffiner. I now have 3/4" deflection. I lift my Trailblazer 301g up, back up my truck and drop it in. It works like a champ.
    As much as I'd love to build a similar setup, I just know what the wife would say.

Its good that want to build a new jib but here is some thing that you should remember when you build a crane first is its Uniform crane control design and manufacture second one is its trolley and bridge bumper design and third thing you should remember is stairway and ladder design and last thing is trolley and bridge brakes. These things are very helpful to you for make a good jib crane.