Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jib Crane

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    Did you ever even check out the link I posted in post #5? I believe Don or I gave most, if not all, the dimensions of the stock we used, prep for welding and installation. Sorry if it doesn't meet your design needs, but it would appear to be what you were looking for.
    The size of materiel for the upright was not given in that link and ifit was I oppoligize for not reading carefully enough. But yes that is wht I am looking to build. Just not attched to a wall.

Post #14 on the second page of the thread.

Quote by Don:
    "Idig, the column is a W12 and the beam is a W10. Column is beefier."

Best of luck on your build. I'm sure if you ask, Don would be forthcoming with the concrete details. He is a good concrete man.

Verticle column is a W12x36, IIRC. It was left over from a job that was done in '92..bout time I quit hauling that sucker around. I can't complain about how this one came out. It works perfectly on all counts. Picks up and moves my welder skid easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Guess we got lucky Don. Sure would have hated boring those slugs on a 6" Craftsman/Atlas lathe and facing them on a '50s table top mill. Did Jimmie or any of those other Washington boys ever find Pilebuck?

Nah....I prefer to think of it as a professionally planned and executed exercise. Luck was not a factor.

Not that I know of, Roy. Creep was posed to get by there maybe. Guess he's been busy.

My next crane will be a wall mount style.....all I-beam and no cable. Gonna be a one tonner, too. Still 16' out and 12ish high. Not enough room overhead for a cable system. With the reduced capacity, I might see about using sch 80 pipe with 3/8 plate top and bottom for swivels. I found a design somewhere..just need to refind it now. I'll post it on WA one day. No rush on it just now.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

I'd scrap the jib crane idea and build an A-frame, on wheels for mobility, and hang a chain fall from it, use a beam trolly if you want to be fancy. A come-a-long will work if that's what you have.

You can put car wheels/tires under these for easy mobility in dirt/gravel. If your loads are very heavy (way over what you are considering) you can mount screw down pads to take the weight off the tires, and level the whole thing (that's important if you have a beam trolly, not so important if you don't).
    I've made several of these, you can size them to fit thru the garage/shop door, or you can make telescoping legs so the height will adjust enough to go into/out of your shop. It's basically a free standing/more versatile bridge crane.
    You can build these as large or small as needed.
    Store bought models will give you a very good idea of what size material you need, your capacity is going to be very low so it would be easy to build in a serious safety factor. Run it by an engineer if you have doubts, an hour of an engineers time is pretty cheap if it lets you sleep at night.
    These can be built to handle loads in the hundreds of tons, your application would be very simple.
    Load test the thing to say 125% of your rated load and be happy.
    Never get under a suspended load, and be happy.
    Paint it a groovy color and be happy.

JTMcC.
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Keep in mind that if you build one of these mobile A-frames, every body you know that's mechanically inclined will want to use it to: pull engines, dissasymble their backhoe/bobcat, pull their truck bed, skin an elk, hang beef (assuming your friends are cattle rustlers), suspend troublesome teenagers (by the ankles, NOT the neck), ect, ect.
    There is no end to the usefullness of this almost magical device.
    Makes a great place to hang a hammock on those slow days.
    Suspend things for painting, hang that fake (?) skeleton for halloween (or Thangsgiving, if you're like that) I could go on and on but I won't.

JTMcC
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

For cost and simplicity, I think JT makes a heck of a lot of sense.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Quote Originally Posted by DDA52 View Post
    My next crane will be a wall mount style.....all I-beam and no cable. Gonna be a one tonner, too. Still 16' out and 12ish high. Not enough room overhead for a cable system. With the reduced capacity, I might see about using sch 80 pipe with 3/8 plate top and bottom for swivels. I found a design somewhere..just need to refind it now. I'll post it on WA one day. No rush on it just now.
    Don, hit Jimmie up for some pictures of the one he has up at his shop. Looked like it would be just what you need.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    Post #14 on the second page of the thread.

Quote by Don:
    "Idig, the column is a W12 and the beam is a W10. Column is beefier."

Best of luck on your build. I'm sure if you ask, Don would be forthcoming with the concrete details. He is a good concrete man.
    I am not sure off the dimensions of a W12 or W10 beem can some one tell me what I have and if it will work for any part of the crane I want to build please.
    I have it and have never had a use for it so if it will work I might as well use it.

I have a 25' or 30' beam i picked up at auction 6 or 7 years ago for like $50. the top and bottom flanges are 5" wide 3/8" thick(at the edge the taper to 1/2" thick at the web). The beam is 12" high with a 3/8" thick web.