Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Stick Welding Carbon Steel to Stainless Steel?

I have been asked this question and it has been almost 30 years since I made my living as a welder. Is it possible to stick weld carbon steel to stainless steel? If so is it a big problem? What process would work best for this application? Thanks

Well it is not an ideal situation to do but it can be done. Is this going to be a structural piece? I have welded carbon to stainless a few times. I have used 3/32" 308L rod or supermissle rod for this. I am not sure if it would work with say 7018 or the like. This is just my .02
    At home:
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211 Auto-set
    Spoolmate 100

At work:
    2-Syncrowave 250
    2-maxstar 150
    millermatic 250X
    Dynasty 200 DX

Thanks for the reply Paul. Not really structural. It is stainless handrails, in between red iron columes, the owner thinks he needs to connect the stainless vertical post to the red iron columes. The engineer did not design for a connection between the two. The owner thinks he needs something like 2 inch cs pipe to stiffen the hand rail. I have not seen it yet. Thanks

As mentioned 309 would be your best rod to use.

Wheelchair

I had know idea that you could smaw(mig) this connection. This would be the best choice for location of welds. (three story complex, 500 connections needed) Leads would be terrilbly long. What wire would one use in a mig for this purpose?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lasgambler View Post
    I had know idea that you could smaw(mig) this connection. This would be the best choice for location of welds. (three story complex, 500 connections needed) Leads would be terrilbly long. What wire would one use in a mig for this purpose?
    SMAW is stick; GMAW is mig. 309 is USUALLLLLLY the correct filler for mild steel to stainless, smaw or gmaw.

HTH
    Griff

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    SMAW is stick; GMAW is mig. 309 is USUALLLLLLY the correct filler for mild steel to stainless, smaw or gmaw.

HTH
    Griff
    Thanks Griff, My bad, just a brain f_art, happens when you get old.