Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Triple Pass/Multiple Pass Welds

I never went to school and have not been taught the proper way to make a triple pass mig for a 1/2in weld. Been welding 6+ years was never in a field where I had to use this method. Now in a heavy duty manufacturing industry and they seem to use it alot. My current method is to make a 1/4in root pass and then make 2 passes, one half on the root and half on the bottom plate and the other half on the root and half on the top plate. Any suggestions, I am currently scheduled for a project of 1" plate to 3/4" plate with 1/2 fillet. Thanks.
    Miller Elite Hood
    Miller Deltaweld 451 & 452
    AirArc in Training
    Too many hand tools to list
    "remember, spark production is not welding,
    a nice shiny cold bead, piled high, that i can knock off with a banana does not make you a welder."

That sounds about right to me... I might go a tiny bit larger than 1/4" on the first pass, but that's just me. I also like to go more than half way (maybe 2/3) onto each pass, overlapping each one onto the last.
    No doubt someone else will point out the correct procedure...

They only taught me what they could teach a chimp...
    Last edited by Marcel Bauer; 09-16-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    "If you build it, they will come!"

Default preheat thick stuff

On that 3/4 to 1 inch stuff, you should preheat it to 350F and maintain that temp between passes. A handy IR thermometer works well.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal