Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pehaka Bandsaw

Default Pehaka Bandsaw

Hello Everyone.wanted to know if anyone might know where I can get some info on an older Pehaka bandsaw I just picked up for a song and dance....I googled pehaka and all I could get was people selling them......Any bandsaw forums maybe? Thanx in advance JIM
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Miller Elite welding helmet
    JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
    Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Some really cool hammers BIG and small

Anyone? Anyone?
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Hypertherm Powermax 30

Cool

I have a bandsaw forum but i have never heard of that brand. There may be some more forums on yahoo...Bob
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I Googled "Pehaka saw" and did learn they are (were?) made in Germany. The ones I found are large industrial saws. I'm betting they are very good quality but support and parts may be tough to get in the USA.

Do you know what voltage your's is uhohjim?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-TX View Post
    I Googled "Pehaka saw" and did learn they are (were?) made in Germany. The ones I found are large industrial saws. I'm betting they are very good quality but support and parts may be tough to get in the USA.

Do you know what voltage your's is uhohjim?
    Jim , I knew they were made in Germany...after sitting for many years everything still for the most part moves freely and is in good shape...I know its a three phase saw and was considering a rotary phase convertor.....or maybe a single phase motor swap..the saw is missing some small things like the blade guide/stablilzer coming from the upper adjustable blade fence?guide?....Not sure exactly what it would be called..but normally there would be two roller bearings there to stabilize blade where it feeds from the top of the saw. The saw has a approx. 16 inch throat and full speed adjustment so I'mthinking I'll have to put a little time into it because it sure seems heavy duty I'll post some pics of it so maybe someone might have some ideas for parts Thanx Jim
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Hypertherm Powermax 30

Maybe you can adapt parts from other brands if you don't need anything major that's specific to that saw. Post a pic if you get a chance.
    Jim

I'm assuming that you're bandsaw is an upright saw with a 16" throat and has two 16" wheels.

I recently rebuilt an old Laidlaw bandsaw (good luck with that one on Google ). This one has a special place in my heart because it was one of my first larger pieces of machinery that I acquired, but it was the last one I put into action.

I think I paid $75 for this over 15 years ago. I had more time and energy back then, and stripped it bare and meticulously repainted it... even had some gears machined for the gear box. Then it sat... and sat.. and sat...
    I always knew it would be the diamond in the rough, so I finally made an effort to either get 'er done, or part with it. Truth be told, I coaxed my father (who is now semi-retired) to get on the case, and was kind enough to rebuild the gear box for me in his spare time. Thanks, Dad!
    Miraculously, we still had all of the parts in a box, as I had it completely apart. So, now for an original $75 investment and well, a bit of time , I now have a killer 30" bandsaw. New bearings throughout, tuned up gearbox, new tires, and a 15 year old paint job.

The motor is an old hefty General electric 3 Phase. It was wired for 440V, so I took it to an old school motor guy and had him wire it for 220V so I could run it off one of my rotary phase converters.

To answer your question about converters, I ran all my 220V three phase machines off a 3HP rotary converter until I fired up my 30" direct drive Oliver bandsaw... it just wouldn't fire that huge 2HP motor... so I had to step up to a 10HP converter for that saw. The Laidlaw may be a different story, since it has a gear box driven by a flat belt from the motor, but I haven't yet tried it on the 3HP converter. I don't know if you will have any luck at all with a static converter. It really depends on how the drive is on the saw and how much grunt you're looking at to get her moving.

At any rate, I robbed a 3PH switch from another (project) machine and when the day came we finally fired this up, I gotta say I was stOked.... this saw really sings.

It even came with an old blade welder, which I used to make the maiden blade with. Another forum member, Pumpkinhead, was kind enough to give me some great advice on how to properly use a bandsaw blade welder. Thanks, Pumpy! Talk about a welding process that requires some skill!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Default the guides

It's your lucky day.

I took special interest in the guide assembly on this saw, as it was much different (and better IMO) than any of my other bandsaws.

There are some bandsaw bearing guide assemblies (Carter is one that comes to mind) that you can purchase and probably adapt to your saw. This Laidlaw had its assemblies all hand-made.

These pics show how it all works around a simple brass block and some eccentrics. Very cool. Very simple. The whole design of this saw is cool and straightforward. It is very user friendly and just makes sense.

If you decide to go this route for the guides, feel free to send me a PM and I'll get some more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

ALRIGHT,,,,,how do I shrink pictures to post them on here?? Tried to post some pics of the Pehaka bandsaw ,,says they are too big...How can I shrink them?? Thanx Ahead of time Jim
    Welding in Crete
    Syncrowave 350 LX
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Gold Seal 155
    Hypertherm Powermax 30

Just use Photo Bucket.

Upload.

Click Edit.
    Resize.
    640x480 For Horizontal Images
    or
    Change the Dimensions to 480x640 for vertical.

Then Click on the IMG Code Link- it will copy the address

and then paste it in your Post-

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus