Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Project for new welders (cash maker)

I am in the HVAC business............I have a customer that owns three houses within one block (not a great neighborhood). In one house......thieves stole the central air conditioner while the house was unrented, and on another of their properties, thieves went in last fall and stripped the central air conditioner of copper/aluminum..........and even destroyed/stripped the furnace of the A coil, ripped out copper water lines etc. I have installed new heat/cool systems in each of these properties. To deter thieves, I have built a cage/fence with a lockable gate around each A/C unit. Here are some pics of the cage/fence with lockable gate that some of you may be interested in promoting and selling in your area. Just remember to take measurements of where the A/C unit will be and keep in mind to leave space so the gate can be opened for servicing. The posts on this are 1" square tube (14 gauge) and capped with 1 " square plastic plugs, the pickets are 3/8 " solid round, horizontal are 1" x 1/2" C channel. The extra length of the posts allow for 12 to 15 " to be set in concrete (if the customer wishes). I charged $285 for this one.....................they picked up, will install and paint it themselves.
    Also you may interest them in security bars for windows but be sure to check with local codes as to whether it has to be able to be opened in case of fire. The security bars can be built the same as the A/C cage (or fancier, of course).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

thats a cool idea thanks
    welding...its awsome

good idea keep em` coming

Inferno Forge

Chris

Interesting idea and excellent execution.

Unfortunately I can almost guarantee that the cage will be going to the same scrap yard as the copper. They will rip that out and take it as well.

Empty property needs a dog. Big dog. Only way.

Nice work on the cage. but I agree with phila its just more for them to take. Heck if they are willing to take your screen door,gutters and aluminum siding off while your in the house, I can't see why a cage will deter them. Its nothing short or the catalytic converter theft going on. Sawzalls a going, will cut anything for crack and meth.

What if I build a second cage around the first cage to protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    What if I build a second cage around the first cage to protect it.
    Heh, that's funny.

It is a very nice project. Thanks for letting us see it. I can imagine the frustration of the poor people that own the homes. Frickin Thieves.
    Thanks,

monte55,
    thanks for the idea! We have security bars in a lot of places here in Hawaii, and the AC is a good idea also. If the thieves see bars on one, they MAY go to the neighbors for "easier" access...
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Interesting idea and excellent execution.Installs the cages around the equipment with several heavy steel bolts that run through the cement that these outside appliances set on.But i think cages of property armor are also best according to security point of view....

Default Build a Big swatter for the next unwanted visitor

"monte55

What if I build a second cage around the first cage to protect it."

build a fly swatter over the cage with a motion sensor for night time use
    Trailblazer 325 EFI
    Dynasty 200DX
    SVI 300i cvcc
    Mig 4HD & Mig 2E wire feeders
    Ultra-Pulse 300i Pendant
    EAS-IV Electronic Arc Starter and Plumbing Box
    Powermax1000 G3 Series
    AC-225 Arc Welder