Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs up

Laiky
    i have power at the pump, but no pump function. so no way to check fuel pressure.
    i will try sending my own power to the pump to see what i get, but its looking a lot like a pump problem so far.
    aametalmaster
    thanks for the link, after a little searching i found a subaru pump that may work. i need to get the old one out before as there are 2 options i need to decide from.

thanks every one for the help.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

There is a Subaru talk forum just like this one somewhere.

when you jump power to it, if it doesn't work provide a good ground too, just in case the ground is causing the issue. I know money is tight, i don't want you to miss something simple and cheap to fix.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Question

well time to add more odd to the mix ???
    so i get the pump out,
    jump power to it,
    and yep it works.
    ????????
    so i attach it back to the plug its normally attached to and turn the key.
    and yep its working again ?????
    so as i'm looking over plugs. the 2 prong plug inside the tank, (under the 5 prong on the outside) looks like it was shorted ??? the hot prong is all blackened and the plastic plug is darkened, the ground is as it was new i suspect as its nice and shiny. the other 3 plugs ( smaller wires) go to the fuel level sending unit to show how much gas is in the tank.
    i ran a continuity test to see if power was getting threw the plug, and yep its got good contact strait threw but no cross contact ????

as for the ground, its not grounded to the tank, the plug provides both hot and ground to the pump. and booth seem fine again ????

so the insanity continues, today the car would have worked ???????

thanks for the link to the subaru link. with a little luck one of them will have gone threw this before.

i gotta go pick up the wife from the Christan's charity outreach she helps out at. was planing to go get a pump at the same time???? but now ?????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

cut the wires that have burnt terminals from each side of the plug and use crimp connectors. see if it works reliably. It is possible the pump is going and current draw is going up enough to over heat the terminals. They probably were loosened up or corroded which exacerbates the burning issue. It is probably time for a new pump, but make sure the damaged terminals are bypassed.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375

Question

Laiky
    i don't think its possible to bypass the terminal as you speak. its the connector that brings power threw the tank opening.see pic.
    there is a 5 connector on the outside and inside there are 2 plugs, one with the 3 smaller wires that work the fuel level gage, and a 2 wire plug that go to the fuel pump. i don't see how i could get threw the access cover and seal it back up. and again it would leave me at the mercy of its whim to work when it wants and stop working as it feel fit ????

you are thinking the connecting may heat up causing it to lose its connection off and on i think. problem is it worked well for 2 long trips and was dead the next day (yesterday ) and now working again today ???? i just wish some thing would stay broken so i know what to fix!!!!!!

i'm going to give the subaru forum a shot and see if anyone has been threw the same and has a fixed car now that can tell me where to look next.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

if your seeing burned or discolored terminals, you need to address it! if the contacts are clean, or can be cleaned, you should be alright. Keep in mind that the problem could be caused by the pump, or it could be the cause of the intermittant pump operation. can you get a pic of the damage? you may need a new (junkyard) pickup assy. Either way move it to a bench and put power to a point past the overheated terminal - does it work consistantly? Do not run the pump continuously as it is lubricated and cooled by the fuel!
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375

Question

the discolored terminals are where the inside connection of the pump is, i'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow. i tried it several times today plugged in, turning the key on and it worked every time. pump started for a sec. then shut off just like its supposed to. yesterday nothing, today its fine again.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

that 5 pin plug looks like a pretty common plug on Japanese cars. You should be able to find a replacement plug at the local pick and pull, and cut it off of the donor car with some length of wire. You can also open them up, and pull the pins out.

I was unclear from your post, and the pic doesn't let me tell dirt from burnt. Is the the wire in the harness burned, or is it just the pins in the connectors. burnt pins, usually means there is arcing across the connection, and a poor connection would certainly cause an intermittent problem like you describe. Burnt wire means you are pulling more amps than you should be. Causes of that are various, but you will have to find it.

I wouldn't rule the relay out 100% yet. I know Honda had issues with cold solder joints on their main relay. They would crack and cause intermittent problems, especially when the car was hot. it's an easy fix once you figure it out.

this page has some Honda specific stuff on it, but it does an excellent job describing the problem and the correct fix. If you can weld you can solder, and if you don't have an iron, the $12 radio shack model is fine.
    http://www.marklamond.co.uk/tech-hon...main-relay.htm

I'm a member of the forum that was poster earlier. it's mainly focused on 05+ legacys, although they do have an area for older models. No idea how good it is, I never go in there. You'll probably get more help at legacy central
    http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/ No personal endorsement, I just know it's there.

hope this helps
    Millermatic 180 Auto Set