Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailors for sale

OK, I just made two really ugly welds so I'm satisfied that I can make trailers to pull behind automobiles at high speeds carrying heavy loads down our interstate highways and byways.

Just funning with ya'll, I've noticed some folks get pretty ornery about them kinda things

But I got my electrical hooked up, and made a few test welds on some angle iron. Ugly as heck to say the lest, but it was fun and exciting to stick my very first pieces of steel together (and to my table in several spots ) . Now my 10 year old daughter wants to learn how to weld.

I'm gonna do some more testing on some of this 1/8 inch angle and on the 1x2square tube I bought, then I'm gonna weld up that little rolly cart to make my band saw mobile. Then I'll cut the pieces for my wood holder and when the ring roller and metak bender gets here I'll be able to stick them together.

Don't worry fellas, these things can't hurt nobody if a weld breaks.

I do have a question though. I have a cheapee self darkening helmet from Northern Tool. When it darkens I can't really see where I'm welding. Is it going to dark or is that just something you need to get used to or what?

Thanks for answering all of my questions thus far, I'm sure there will be many more to come.
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

does it have settings for shade when dark?
    07 f350 duallie w/deck
    07 tb302d
    2011 big blue pro 300 cat
    victor torch
    matthey beveler
    assorted hand tools

[QUOTE=curly;158680]OK, I just made two really ugly welds so I'm satisfied that I can make trailers to pull behind automobiles at high speeds carrying heavy loads down our interstate highways and byways.

Just funning with ya'll, I've noticed some folks get pretty ornery about them kinda things
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You wouldn't be the first guy to try and do something stupid like that, glad to know you were just messing with us And yes, I'm one of them guys that get pretty ornery when stupid people put the general public at risk just cause they saw Paulie do it on Orange County Chopper.

Be smart, take the time to learn how to do things properly and ask a lot of questions, most of us a glad to lend a hand. When asking for advice be sure to post pictures with your description, it helps us to help you, and may also give us a laugh or two.

It's great to get the youngin's involved in your hobbies, untold amounts of quality time can be had in the shop with kids. I got a 7 year old nephew that can't get enough of helping me, and I can't get enough of spending time with him. He's already got more mechanical ability than his Dad, but that ain't say'in much either, If I told you his dad was as dumb as a box of rocks it would be an insult to the box of rocks. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard's welding View Post
    does it have settings for shade when dark?

Yeah, there is a knob that goes from 9-13. I turned it to 9 and still can't seem to see the puddle that well.
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Quote Originally Posted by curly View Post
    Yeah, there is a knob that goes from 9-13. I turned it to 9 and still can't seem to see the puddle that well.
    Are you inside? Could be too dark in the work area. Try it outside and iffin' ya can see better then throw some more light on the work area inside.

It do take a wee bit to get used to what to look for though.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default Helmet

Step up to the Miller Elite. It is, by far, the best helmet. I own an Autoglass, Snap-On, and the Elite. There's no comparison to the Elite. You get what you pay for!!
    OK, I just made two really ugly welds so I'm satisfied that I can make trailers to pull behind automobiles at high speeds carrying heavy loads down our interstate highways and byways.

But I got my electrical hooked up, and made a few test welds on some angle iron. Ugly as heck to say the lest, but it was fun and exciting to stick my very first pieces of steel together (and to my table in several spots ) . Now my 10 year old daughter wants to learn how to weld.

I'm gonna do some more testing on some of this 1/8 inch angle and on the 1x2square tube I bought, then I'm gonna weld up that little rolly cart to make my band saw mobile. Then I'll cut the pieces for my wood holder and when the ring roller and metak bender gets here I'll be able to stick them together.

Don't worry fellas, these things can't hurt nobody if a weld breaks.

I do have a question though. I have a cheapee self darkening helmet from Northern Tool. When it darkens I can't really see where I'm welding. Is it going to dark or is that just something you need to get used to or what?

Thanks for answering all of my questions thus far, I'm sure there will be many more to come.
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Tilt the helmet back and forth while it is darkened and you will see that there is a sweet spot. It may require adjusting the head strap so you look through the sweet spot.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Back glare - or that's what I call it. Light coming in from the back of the hood causes glare on the inside of the AD lens making it difficult to see. Almost threw mine away until I figured it out as a result of another post here. Throw a shop towel over the back to see if it helps or not.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Sometimes you have your gun in the way. One of the first questions i ask when i see welds not in the joint is CAN YOU SEE THE PUDDLE?? You would be surprised how many people cant see the joint because of their body position.

Quote Originally Posted by starweld View Post
    Sometimes you have your gun in the way. One of the first questions i ask when i see welds not in the joint is CAN YOU SEE THE PUDDLE?? You would be surprised how many people cant see the joint because of their body position.
    Yeah, there have been more that one time when I pushed the helmet up and I was totally off of the joint.

I know that a lot of it is just getting used to what you are looking at. One thing for sure, all of those Miller youtube videos I watched it's a whole lot more apparent where the puddle is and where the joint is...of course those videos aren't being seen through the helmet either. I'll try all of these suggestions and see if that helps.
    Last edited by curly; 09-18-2008 at 08:21 PM.
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55