Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

$40 is a deal for that repair. Jump on it.

I don't unwrap my torch and turn on the argon for that price.

I admire your desire to learn tig. It is a very versatile welding process. You may want to keep your eyes open for a used Syncrowave 200 or so. They're tough units so they're probably good even if several years old. I just upgraded my Sync 250 to replace a 12 yr old unit.

Tig welding will require considerable practice to become proficient. Believe me, it will be a while before you feel comfortable tackling "thin" aluminum.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Bauer View Post
    On your boat is not the place to learn...
    I'll say!!!!

I learned on everyone elses
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

learning to weld on boat is a no no. And definitely not with a 3/32 stick welder and .050" material. Yes those boats are thin and no a mig is not the process of choice TIG is the way to go.
    Kerry
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

I agree $40 is a deal. Even after I ground all the weld off and ended up with a hole the size of a softball I took the welder my boat and a couple of pieces of aluminum diamond plate this morning at 6am when I left work. he called me at 2:30 saying I could pick it up. He said it was going to be bit more since there was a lot more welding to be dine with putting that plate all along the front of the boat. $85 was trhe total I unlike many of the stories I read on here don't mind paying, I figure I am still gettting a heck of a deal, it had have taken atleast 3 hours to do all that. So once again thanks for all post's.

Guess what I found today at work???????? 3 portable Miller welder's. 2 portable Tig's and 1 251 wirefeed with a aluminum spool gunGuess what I am going to be doing?????????????????? You got, by next duck season I will have converted a rivited jon boat in to an all welded Jon.

I will be frequent visitor of this forum, now. Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by 2001rotax800 View Post
    Guess what I found today at work???????? 3 portable Miller welder's. 2 portable Tig's and 1 251 wirefeed with a aluminum spool gun

I will be frequent visitor of this forum, now. Jesse
    ok, I gotta ask how you just found these at work
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    ok, I gotta ask how you just found these at work
    Well lt's just say I am not one to sit around. Working a swing shift with 12 hours shifts on nights can get pretty boring!!!! There are not to many things I do not know where to find, but these portable welders have eluded me. Now that i know the exist I can put them to good use

I work in a Power house. There are weldeing machines everywhere, just the tig are not portable units, ussually....Until I hit the mother load tonite. Now that I know where they are all I have to do is ask the on of the welders to unlock the door for me. They are more than helpfull in the machine shop or anywhere for that matter when it comes to a G job.

I am glad my boat is all fixed and I am happy to pay the $. By the sounds of it I would not have learned to tig it in time anyway. Lie I said in a previous Post, I have adesire to learn so next time I can do it my self. I am sure this will not be my last boat, and for the price you can buy stuff that has a little abuse is crazy. The more resources you have the better off you are right?
    Last edited by 2001rotax800; 09-15-2008 at 11:34 PM.

Default Cheat

Where do can you find someone to tig for $40 or $80? I wouldn't think about it for less than $200!!
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

well here are the pics, I am very very happy

Default Boat Repair

Sorry guys, but its not rocket science.

Here is my 'Thin Hull' with a new transom plate welded on and crossbrace ... all done with a wire spool gun .... MIG. No holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2001rotax800 View Post
    well here are the pics, I am very very happy
    Cool jon boat. It looks like you could use it as an icebreaker.