Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default drill press recommendations

Looking to pick up a decent drill press without breaking the bank. Budget is
    4-600. Average use is 1" holes in 11ga tubing, and up to 3/4" holes in 1/2" steel. Would like to find something locally in the Dallas area. Any input is greatly appreciated. Floor mount would be my preference

Thanks

Scott

i looked all around at the stores and on line
    the best deal was at home depot .com
    a jet jdp-15mf it was $429.00 and free shipping
    it works great

Default Made in China?

You could get one from harbor freight for less than half that. The Jet's I've seen lately look just like the harbor freight model. I think they are all made in China.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    You could get one from harbor freight for less than half that. The Jet's I've seen lately look just like the harbor freight model. I think they are all made in China.
    True- but there are some Chinese tool brands better than others- Jet being one of them
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I have a 14" (I believe) Delta drill press that I bgt for woodworking. As long as I use metal bits it's fine for whatever it'll drill, right?
    Last edited by curly; 09-14-2008 at 08:08 PM.
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Quote Originally Posted by curly View Post
    I have 1 14" (I believe) Delta drill press that I bgt for woodworking. As long as I use metal bits it's fine for whatever it'll drill, right?
    Curly,
    Sure it will be fine. Just realize that most of the cheaper drill presses...okay, ALL of the cheap drill presses...run at too high a speed for most metal drilling with larger bits. Keep the cutting oil running freely.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    True- but there are some Chinese tool brands better than others- Jet being one of them
    In that case, buy from Grizzly. I doubt you'll find a difference other than the paint and the price. Quality control is different from one importer to the next, but I believe Grizzly holds about the same or better standards than Jet. Otherwise, not much difference between any of the Asian drill presses. Taiwanese would be better than ChiCom, if you can find the country of origin.

As far as Jet quality goes, as a Jet owner I've never noted their product as being one that strived for quality much past the flashy paint job. Forget white and go green and enjoy the extra cash and better customer support.

Finally, drill presses are on the low end of product development and innovation. Not hard to find a decent model...even from Harbor Freight.

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    In that case, buy from Grizzly.
    Good to know- deciding between the Grizzly or Jet Swivel head bandsaw.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus