Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Cool

Here is the last arch i made with my HF bender. I figured the radius and marked lines like every 3 or 4 inches then just bend a little at a time until you get the radius you want. You can use a piece of cardboard with the radius drawn on it to use for a template. Your log holder might be marked every inch or so because its smaller. Also use a stand to hold up the long end to keep everything straight and level...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Here is the last arch i made with my HF bender. I figured the radius and marked lines like every 3 or 4 inches then just bend a little at a time until you get the radius you want. You can use a piece of cardboard with the radius drawn on it to use for a template. Your log holder might be marked every inch or so because its smaller. Also use a stand to hold up the long end to keep everything straight and level...Bob
    Very nice. A yard trellis is on my list too. I've always built that kinda stuff outta wood in the past, but wanna get some steel stuff around this log cabin. I've always been a would worker and now I wanna become a still worker too.

That last sentence was designed to make Benny chuckle

By the way, that universal bender in the link is great.

www.shopoutfitters.com

I'm like that fella, I usually wear a lab coat when I'm workin on stuff.
    Last edited by curly; 09-13-2008 at 06:19 AM.
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by curly View Post

I'm like that fella, I usually wear a lab coat when I'm workin on stuff.

This is funny not to do with anything but a lab coat. I had one when i was 18 or so that i wore to be stupid along with my bowling shoes. But anyway those of us that can remember the blizzard of '77 or '78 will chuckle. My buddy got his car stuck on a hill with like 6 inches of snow and i said i will jump out and push. Well i pushed and he caught traction and he flew up the hill and stopped at the stop sign and got out to see where i was. I was standing there. He said i know you didn't run up here i said nope my coat got hooked on your bumper guards and you drug me up here. Sure glad there was a stop sign and he wasn't out for a long drive. So i gave up the long coat that instant...Bob

Ouch- not me brudda- I would have just purchased a Roller-

I picked up this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sheet-Metal-Pede...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 09-13-2008 at 05:00 PM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Firepl...g-Rack-w-tools

What tools would I need to bend the metal on this would rack? I want to build this for our cabin to clean up the messy wood and kindling we have laying on the hearth.

Thanks,
    Curly
    Hi Curly,

From where I'm standing, you need a welder, a cutting tool, and perhaps your "would"working equipment.

The real question is if you want to build the rack EXACTLY as shown, or a just a close facsimile thereof. I would just work the design around all the hard bends shown in the frame and base so you don't need a bender for those details, unless it's the specific look of the picture you're after.
    For the inverted arches, 1/8" x 1.5" flat bar stock should just bend to fit without having to roll anything. The arch will have spring however, so you'd have to weld something between the posts to bridge the gap. Otherwise, just cut a plywood radius template smaller than the radius you're looking for (to allow for springback)and pull that bar around it. You'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

T'aint no big deal.

That being said, the $99 harbor freight universal bender and the cheapo ebay ring roller will open up many doors for your future projects. IMHO, these are truly a lot of bang for the buck.

Have fun!
    Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 09-13-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling and clarity
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Ouch- not be brudda- I would have just purchased a Roller-

I picked up this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sheet-Metal-Pede...QQcmdZViewItem
    OK, thanks for keeping me from buying a prolly worthless tool. I called Harbor freight and removed the inter planetary ring roller from the order (the name sounded so cool) I'll get the cheapee Ebay thing.

Curly
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Quote Originally Posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    Hi Curly,

From where I'm standing, you need a welder, a cutting tool, and perhaps your "would"working equipment.

The real question is if you want to build the rack EXACTLY as shown, or a just a close facsimile thereof. I would just work the design around all the hard bends shown in the frame and base so you don't need a bender for those details, unless it's the specific look of the picture you're after.
    For the inverted arches, 1/8" x 1.5" flat bar stock should just bend to fit without having to roll anything. The arch will have spring however, so you'd have to weld something between the posts to bridge the gap. Otherwise, just cut a plywood radius template smaller than the radius you're looking for (to allow for springback)and pull that bar around it. You'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

T'aint no big deal.

That being said, the $99 harbor freight universal bender and the cheapo ebay ring roller will open up many doors for your future projects. IMHO, these are truly a lot of bang for the buck.

Have fun!
    Yeah, I'm not gonna be able to buy a whole lotta expensive tools, but I do want to be able to make some basic bends and scrolls and things. And no, it don't need to be exactly as shown, that will just be my guide. I'm gonna make it to fit my area...and maybe embellish or unembellish as I see the need or desire. Preciate the input.

Oh yeah, any ideas on how to make (or what to buy) the little hooks?

I bgt a Northern tool band saw that I used to cut about 10 short pieces of angle iron to do some test welds. But since my electricty wont be right til Monday I may cut the pieces for the band saw roller cart I want to make...at least have that outta the way.

I was bushhog reclaiming some overgrown land (we've only been here a few years) and found a 20 ft I beam that must be a 12 inch I beam. Then I found about a 15 ft 7-8 inch I beam and a 12 ft round steel pipe. How useful are these things that have set on the grown rusting for 20 to who knows how many years. They are still plenty heavy so there seems to be plenty of good steel there. They weigh more that the $500 worth of steel I just brought home the other day.
    Last edited by curly; 09-13-2008 at 02:59 PM.
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Cool

Oh yeah, any ideas on how to make (or what to buy) the little hooks?
    I would make the little hooks from 1/8" x 1/2" flat, twist the little straight end in the vise then bend the loop in your new HF bender...Bob

Default bender

I worked in an ornamental shop doing this type of work. All thats needed to get those bends is a nice bender with adjustable rollers. You can pick one up cheap and it will do all sorts of bending jobs. Princess Auto sells them for about 139 cdn. www.princessauto.com not sure if they have US locations but they do ship. I also found one for $100 pictured here:
    http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetai...od=benchbender
    I have a homemade one that works pretty well, sorry no pics though
    as for the really round curves, heating and bending around a piece of pipe does a nice job.

I would make the little hooks from 1/8" x 1/2" flat, twist the little straight end in the vise then bend the loop in your new HF bender...Bob
    Curly,

Like Bob says- use the HF Bender- it will bend up the Hooks no problem.

I have The SO bender
    E-bay Roller- they are local, saved on shipping
    and the HF-Interplanetary Roller it pretty much collects dust.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus