Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default What tools do I need for this?

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Firepl...g-Rack-w-tools

What tools would I need to bend the metal on this would rack? I want to build this for our cabin to clean up the messy wood and kindling we have laying on the hearth.

Thanks,
    Curly
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Cool

A cheap Harbor Freight bender would bend those big hoops and its like 85 bucks. That would be your cheapest tool besides a hammer and torch...Bob
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44094
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

AA,

Thanks for that info. I was looking for a metal break all over instead of a bender. I went ahead and ordered that tonight.

Curly
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    A cheap Harbor Freight bender would bend those big hoops and its like 85 bucks. That would be your cheapest tool besides a hammer and torch...Bob
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44094
    Bob- I don't see how the parts Bender will bend the Arch holding the Kindling

Are you talking about the hoops on the handles?

Need something more along the lines of a Roller for the Arched pieces.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36790

Although this is limited to 1" wide Strap
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Ed, you can do arches if you progressively bend small sections.

Curly, For something like that, you might be better off getting a couple drop sections of pipe from the steel yard. Cut them in half and use the radius that provides. Unless you're real particular about the width, that would be the cheapest option.

I would use a ring roller, but those aren't cheap either. Unless you want to add it to the arsenal (they are handy), the cut pipe would be the more economical approach.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    Ed, you can do arches if you progressively bend small sections.

Curly, For something like that, you might be better off getting a couple drop sections of pipe from the steel yard. Cut them in half and use the radius that provides. Unless you're real particular about the width, that would be the cheapest option.

I would use a ring roller, but those aren't cheap either. Unless you want to add it to the arsenal (they are handy), the cut pipe would be the more economical approach.
    Jim,

Yep, I got a few other things. Anything over $140 or so was $11.99 so I looked through there good and made sure I had a few things.

1 36620-6VGA 1/2'' PICKET TWISTER ATTACHMENT 49.99 49.99
    1 36621-8VGA SCROLL ATTACHMENT FOR ITEM 31980 29.99 29.99
    1 44094-9VGA Benchtop Bar and Rod Bender 84.99 84.99
    4 46297-3VGA FIXED RIGHT ANGLE WELDING MAGNET 11.99 47.96
    1 36790-9VGA Metal Planetary Ring Roller 69.99 69.99
    1 45430-2VGA Pack of 10 4-1/2" Cut-off Wheels for Metal 5.99 5.99
    1 40324-3VGA 150 PC. HITCH CLIP ASSORTMENT 3.99 3.99
    1 771-4VGA Pack of 10 4" Grinding Wheels for Metal 4.99 4.99

Thanks
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Curly,
    Get a short drop of pipe in the diameter you want the radius of those bends...maybe 2" high or just a tad wider than the widest strap you envision bending. Tack the pipe to your table top. Tack a 1/2" or 5/8" bolt by the head to the center of the circle that the pipe now frames with enough thread to attach a section of strap, pipe or whatever you want to use as a bending fulcrum. Drill that strap, pipe, whatever to sit on top of the pipe with a handle end and a bending end sticking out past the rim of the pipe and loosely bolt to the top. Weld a piece of 5/8 or larger rod to the strap, pipe, whatever so that it is loosely butting up against the pipe with the strap you want to bend sitting between that section of rod and the pipe. Tack a second section of rod anywhere close to the pipe to use as a stop for the strap as it is being drawn around the pipe. Walk the handle you've bolted to the top of the pipe around the perimeter and you'll have your bent strap. When you're done, grind the jig off the table and go on to your next project. this will let you bend thicker and wider straping than the HF model...only limit is how much grunt you want to put into the work.
    Last edited by WyoRoy; 09-12-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Broc,

Thanks, I actually ordered that, a scroll attachment, and a twister thing when I ordered the bender. Might do some stuff along the lines of banasters on the porch of our log cabin. We have nice log (small logs) banasters now, but we have a lot of wood. I'm thinking some metal would really spice some things up around this place. Dang, I ain't even got power to the welder yet

Thanks for the input

Curly
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Quote Originally Posted by curly View Post

What tools would I need to bend the metal on this would rack?

Made me chuckle!!
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

Quote Originally Posted by benny365 View Post
    Made me chuckle!!
    Gotta love the English language.

Catch myself doing the same thing once in a while and since it is spelled correctly Spell Check doesn't Flag it
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus