Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tsalagi View Post
    hey wheelchair,
    glad to see i'm not the only backwoods around. i found out that if i use a wire brush that has been used on carbon on duplex i'll get rust on that weld. if i use a 302 stainless brush, it's all good.
    fun4now asked a good question. how do you keep a steady arc if there are ridges all down the tip?
    I use only ss brushes and as far as the tungsten goes I have never had a problem. Where I worked everyone ground their tungsten the same way and I don't recall anyone complaining of tungsten sputtering or the arc wandering. I still tig in my garage today and grind my tungsten the same way. I mostly tig because wheelchairs and sparks dont seem to get along but still stick weld from time to time.

Default tungsten

Tsalagi I never have had a prolem with the arc wandering or sputtering and where I worked for 28 years everyone ground their tungsten the same way. It was the only way we were ever taught. As far as the wire brushes I use only ss for everything. We sharpened tungsten to a pretty good point and went to work and only had tungsten inclusion in the weld if you stuck it and failed to grind it out properly. Rarely seen tungsten flake off.

Thanks
    Wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by tsalagi View Post
    hey wheelchair,
    glad to see i'm not the only backwoods around. i found out that if i use a wire brush that has been used on carbon on duplex i'll get rust on that weld. if i use a 302 stainless brush, it's all good.
    fun4now asked a good question. how do you keep a steady arc if there are ridges all down the tip?
    Never had a problem with tungsten fluttering also I use ss brushes on everything.

Thanks
    Wheelchair

i noticed every one is sayingh they have had good results grinding the same way for years but not saying the way they grind it ??
    so to clarify i grind with the tungsten not acrost it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i noticed every one is sayingh they have had good results grinding the same way for years but not saying the way they grind it ??
    so to clarify i grind with the tungsten not acrost it.
    Where I worked we always grind across the tungsten. I We just roll it around the grinding wheel the way you would roll a Q-Tip in your fingers. This was the way we were taught and we used it on nuclear pipe on submarines and all other pipe. I guess everyone has a way to suit their needs. I hope this clarifies how it worked for us.

Thank you
    Wheelchair {Bill Green**

thats odd, this is the first time i have herd of it being an exceptable methode to grind acrost the tungsten?? i supose it may not be as critical as one would be lead to believe, just the same i think i'll stick to grinding in the direction of the tungsten, its how i lerned.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default tungsten grinding

Back when I first started to tig weld I didn't have anyone tell me the right or wrong way to grind the tungsten. I started out grinding across the grain and did so for quite some time until I was told otherwise, Me personally I couldn't find a difference in the welding or arc either way it was ground. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

anyone here use the white powdered crystals for sharpening to a razor point. I bought some and it seems to work excellent and quickly with little waste. Just have to + the electrode to heat it up red hot and dip , it then turns to liquid and sizzles off the contaminated Tg and sharpens to a perfect needle point no matter what shape it was in before the dip.

i havent tryed it personaly, but want to some time, just keep forgetting to get some when at the LWS.
    i have herd it makes a nice point but you do need to wach it to keep it from eating up too much.
    i always wonderd how do you heat the tungsten to use the dip??? just have a long stick out and spark an arc??? but that would seem to contaminate it in the air??? how hot dose it need to be and how do you heat it??? all this info is probly on the jar, i just never remember to look.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i was not talking about getting one of then but rather just getting the D-disk to put on my 6: bench grinder. they also have some due grit options. in comparison to the dedicated grinders they are prity cheap at $40-120 a disk, far better than buying a PIII price wise but the PIII is supposed to be a great grinder, just way too much $$ for me
    they do cover the grind direction isu though, if they set up a $2000= grinder to grind with the direction of the tungsten towrd the point, it must be the best way to do it. only thing i can see this guy saying grind sideways for is it might be safer from a kickback point of view ?? but i suspect its a typo, again a letter to the editor would be in order if ya ask me.might even get ya a free subscription renewal out of it.
    I was actually going to start a thread about grinders one of these days, but this one seems to be on topic, so I'll ask here. I have read up on the PII and PIII grinders, and also the DGP series, and had to ask, are they worth it? I've heard a couple ppl mention they have them, and I believe they were happy with them, someone even upgraded from the II to the III, if I remember correctly.

Is the opinion that these are worthwhile, as they are fairly automated, and take care of the dust as well, or are they more for a production shop environment?