Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Startford, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Posts
    304

    Default New project ideas......

    Hey everyone,

    I haven't been online in such a while but once again I find myself wondering about. I haven't gotten any hours this summer no one is my province was hiring, including i do believe 3 others are in the same boat I'm in. I'm still going back to school and this year the shops going to be MINE I want to make something use full, yet challenging so I can get all my skills back I'm a bit rusty. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone on here could give me ideas, and I'm hoping i can fit it in he back of my 1/4 tonne S10 to drive home so there is a semi size problem.

    I'd also like to say Hello to everyone new to the Miller boards and I'm looking forward to talking to you on the boards in the near future
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

    Ryan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dalton, GA
    Posts
    117

    Default New Project Ideas - steel storage rack

    I weld in my garage and have to keep my footprint small. I recently built a heavier version of a rack I designed a year ago. I use 4 1/2" heavy cardboard tubes, but you could use 4" PVC pipe instead. I can cut my steel to 10' lengths, sort by flats, pipe, angles, etc. to make it easy to inventory and pull stock for projects. The tubes are tight and lock each other in. It is very sturdy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    near rochester NY
    Posts
    9,881

    Thumbs up

    nice rack.
    cool idea.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
    I'm hoping i can fit it in he back of my 1/4 tonne S10 to drive home so there is a semi size problem.
    Ok, how about some truck accessories.....

    Carrier rack for the truck for long stock/ladder/pipe/whatever?
    Light bar for the truck (winter is dark and long, no?) Maybe with a mount for the spare (getting it out from underneath stinks)?
    Cover for the truck bed (arched frame, mounts that don't mess up the rails, etc)
    Custom toolbox that meets YOUR needs and mounts where you want it in the bed?

    On these trucks a fair bit of planning is needed on accessories to keep the weight down and the balance good.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Medford MA
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
    I want to make something use full, yet challenging so I can get all my skills back I'm a bit rusty. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone on here could give me ideas
    what do you need/want around the house/garage/shop/?

    i've got three or four projects lined up for the winter
    - a welding cart for the garage (to hold a buzz box, a mig
    and its bottle (or two -- i'm thinking of doing some al work)
    and maybe integrate in a small tool chest). think of it as
    a micro-sized-welding-service-truck :-)
    - a base for a smallish wood-working bench
    - a flatscreen-tv stand (more than a few good ideas have
    been posted here and on the hobart board)
    - a small bike-rack for the bicycles
    i know, i could go buy these things, but making them is a lot more
    fun and satisfying. look around the house -- i'm sure you'll
    come up with an idea or two. (and look around the project
    pages on the miller website)

    frank

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Hello, and welcome to the forums.

    Welding is alot like riding a bike, in the sense that once you get it down, its hard to forget.

    But you can always improve your skills.
    Read or submit reviews of Lincoln, Hobart and Miller Welders atThe Welder Shop.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    180

    Default Project

    Quote Originally Posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
    Hey everyone,

    I haven't been online in such a while but once again I find myself wondering about. I haven't gotten any hours this summer no one is my province was hiring, including i do believe 3 others are in the same boat I'm in. I'm still going back to school and this year the shops going to be MINE I want to make something use full, yet challenging so I can get all my skills back I'm a bit rusty. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone on here could give me ideas, and I'm hoping i can fit it in he back of my 1/4 tonne S10 to drive home so there is a semi size problem.

    I'd also like to say Hello to everyone new to the Miller boards and I'm looking forward to talking to you on the boards in the near future
    Build a bigger truck!!!
    Millermatic 210
    Syncrowave 200
    Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Hobart Champion 16 W/
    Miller 8VS Suitcase
    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
    Tons of Tools
    Microwave
    Laptop and Printer
    Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

  8. #8

    Default

    How about a nice welding/work table?
    "If you build it, they will come!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.