Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have designed and built two, I scaled down from existing lifts. In the end it would be so much cheaper to find one used and modify it.

Take a good look at the pics both show the cylinder pushing to the rear of the truck. Not shown is that the lift point is about 1/3 back from the front of the bed.

Biggest mistake is to under size the hinge at the rear. Next would having it lift to high, you don't want it to open much past 85* or less on a short wheelbase truck, especially on a truck with a small(light) motor. Danger of tipping the truck over backwards.

All the info you need is in the pics posted above.

Oh and if the frame on the dump bed is not ridged enough and you go to lift an uneven load (say very heavy in the left front and light in the right rear) then the dump box twists and the whole thing rips apart at the hinge at the rear, or at the connection of the lift to the frame rails. Then you end up with the load and the truck tipped over sideways.

Last bit O caution using the wrong cylinder (undersized) and the cylinder rod bends about half way up then comes crashing back putting a huge hole in the gas tank.

Last one (homemade) dump bed trailer I fixed netted me about $9000.00 they make great winter projects.

Good Luck be safe have fun.

Smile Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!!

That was exactly the type of dump I was looking for! I was wondering if you have the specs for it?
    Measurements, cylinder size, pump size?

these were mounted on gm 5500 4x4 landscaping trucks ...if i had all the exact specs (which i probably dont) i'm not sure that they would help you all that much because you said you're workin on a 1/4 ton toyota..you have to scale it down a bit..cylinder and pump size depending on the size and weight of your finished box. It can be tricky to find the exact place to mount the scissor...i can send you some more pics if you want..i dont think i can resize them on this old computer and they are too big to post here. i could estimate some measurements if you think it would help..do you have any pictures of the truck as it sits now?
    Last edited by albertawelder; 09-27-2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: can't spell

Talking Thanks!

I'd love to get some more pictures and a rough guess on the sizes so I can scale it down.

I sent you my e-mail to send it to.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by pfitz View Post
    Isn't there anybody that can give me a real answer?
    You mean like this link
    http://www.dumpbeds.com/

That was in the OTHER thread about Dump beds
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Wink Not Quite!

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    You mean like this link
    http://www.dumpbeds.com/

That was in the OTHER thread about Dump beds
    That link has plans you have to BUY! I could take a day trip and buy exactly what I need for about $1400.....but I'm CHEEP, a good fabricator and I have a Fisher Plow and a half tonne of metal pieces kicking around for parts!

I did do a search before I posted, and none of the threads had exactly what I was looking for, I know how bulletin boards work, and I know how frustrating it is to see the same topic beat to death!

I just wanted a little Better advice, and I got it!

Don't Follow ME! I'm Lost Too!

Default Dump plans

During the early dumping the steering still worked.
    80's Mother Earth news made a dump bed on a half ton pickup, all I remember is that it had two lift cylinders mounted outside of the frame rails and used the trucks power steering box for hydraulic power. They used a three way valve so that when it was not dumping the steering still worked. They added a larger reservoir to the pump .