Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welding game

Default Welding game

On a recent trip to the video game store with my mom, who I am teaching to weld she had a great idea in (In my opinion). She said that it would be cool if someone came out with a video game in which you could either learn to weld, to design and test different projects, or to get some others involved in welding. This got me thinking there could be mig, stick, and tig controllers and could be sponsored by a welder manufacture like miller. sorry for rambling but i just had to throw this out there and get your ideas on something like this.
    Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

Too late both Miller and Lincoln already have welding simulators, didn't fly too well in training the general welding industry, not sure if they are still in use or not though.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing while staring at a Nintendo Wii the other day.
    John

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic 375 xtreme
    And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

Seems like it would just be easier to learn how to weld by welding... worked fine for me at least.

It might be kind of fun though.
    Read or submit reviews of Lincoln, Hobart and Miller Welders atThe Welder Shop.

Thumbs up Awesome Mom

Quote Originally Posted by markhs View Post
    On a recent trip to the video game store with my mom, who I am teaching to weld
    Now, that is one freakin' cool Mom. Does she have a single sister??
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

That could be done with he wii the torch heads could plug right into the end of the contrler, could also have a grinder.

Default Virtual vs real-world welding

I've had the opportunity to try both. The virtual welding experience seemed very different from real-world welding, in my opinion. I had a helmet that provided a 360 virtual view of my surroundings, and a real MIG gun in my hand that was rigged up to the computer. While "welding", you can set the computer to give you cues as you go along to change your angle, speed, etc. Afterward, it gives you a little report on how consistantly you're welding and if you're welding within the desired parameters. What was missing was seeing the puddle and the way the gun interacts with the metal. It wasn't bad, but there are still improvements to be made, as with most anything in technology. When I got to try real-world welding for the first time only 2 weeks after that, I thought I'd have a little head start on picking up the angle, speed, etc., but I still really felt like I was starting from scratch as far as getting a "feel" for the process.

To be fair, I only tried virtual welding for 10-15 minutes and I was real-world welding for 3 days, but that's my 2 cents.

Default Virtual & Real Welding

Ya , the virtual welding also wont give you the blister knuckles , as you try to squeeze every last bit of rod in. And in real world welding your working positions are NEVER comfortable... ever had to weld with a mirror cuz u couldnt fit ? Virtual has no significance as far as gaining skill goes, however..... I beleive it would be suitable for showing new welders the basic concept of travel speed and angles. The rest must be learned in the real world like heat and weld defects.

Lightbulb welding game

hello, I have always wanted a welding game but none ever been made!
    I will figure out who to give the idea to sometime but i cant wait till one is made!

Default welding game- simulators

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Too late both Miller and Lincoln already have welding simulators, didn't fly too well in training the general welding industry, not sure if they are still in use or not though.

yeah but on the simulator you cannot build what you want to and in the video game you could build literally whatever you would want!